Hello FT World!

FDS

Elite member
You should have made an undercarriage, cheaper than more props. I have broken 12 power pods and 6 firewalls since November instead!

FDS

Elite member
I forget you guys are buried under the white stuff until April! Here the rain just gets colder. Skis are more draggy I guess, so you wouldn’t want them and I bet props are much more brittle at low temps.

Mad_Mechanic

So it looks like the 'top two' recommendations made here are for either the Storch or the Tiny Trainer.

The kit costs for both of these planes (without electronics) is not bad. $25 for the Trainer and $39 for the Storch.

It might be worthwhile for me to buy one of each kit, build both and fly.

Mad_Mechanic

I did an inventory check in my parts bin and from what is on my 450 heli and I figured out that most of my parts fall into the size/power category of a Power Pack C (primarily my inventory of 450 heli cyclic servos).

I have about 5 Corona DS-929MG servos and 3 Savox SH-0263MG servos. While these are a little heavier than the EMax ES08A II servos that come in a Power Pack C, the specs for speed are equivalent and the specs for torque are slightly better with the servos I already own.

This cuts down the cost of entry right there. I also have a couple 40-45A ESCs I can probably use. I would just need a Power Pack C equivalent brushless motor and some props.

So with all that said, just from a parts inventory basis, I think the Storch is where I will be starting from.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice/feedback!

skymaster

Elite member
Hello and welcome. what part of California . i used to live in Delano. the tiny trainer is a good plane but for me my trainer was the mighty miny arrow it is nice because you break less propellers cause its a pusher and a lot of fun.

davidkdk

So it looks like the 'top two' recommendations made here are for either the Storch or the Tiny Trainer.

The kit costs for both of these planes (without electronics) is not bad. $25 for the Trainer and $39 for the Storch.

It might be worthwhile for me to buy one of each kit, build both and fly.

If the real Storch flies anything like the Phoenix and RealFlight Storch then it'll be excellent. It's going to be one of my first kits. After a week in simulation I can actually land the Storch... in one piece.

Mad_Mechanic

Hello and welcome. what part of California . i used to live in Delano. the tiny trainer is a good plane but for me my trainer was the mighty miny arrow it is nice because you break less propellers cause its a pusher and a lot of fun.

I live near Sacramento.