Hello. I am new to this forum but old to RC.

RCMasterx

Hey y'all. I am from South Carolina, USA and began in RC around 1990. Like many, I started with the wrong first airplane. A Spitfire balsa kit. About the time I got the plane finished, I found out that a war bird was NOT what I needed to learn on. I shelved that on and build a Carl Goldberg Eaget 50 balsa kit. I built and learned to fly with that plane and still fly it to this day! I took a 15 year hiatus when my youngest child came along and rejoined actively a few years ago. I was surprised to find the electric revolution so say the least. I still enjoy flying my glow fuel planes, but quite a collection of electrics now. Flitetest has definitely gotten into my blood. I too, love the passion of promoting this wonderful hobby.

So far, I have built the FT Flyer,Delta, and tiny trainer. I am planning the maiden flight of the Delta tomorrow. Hoping for a break in the recent wave of rain down here. My other planes include the unfinished Spitfire, the Eaglet with an OS 25, Visionaire, Supersportster 40 which I am currently scratch building a new wing, Big Stick 40 converted to electric power and taildragger, EasyStar, Decathlon with an FS-91, a resurrected Cherokee with an OS 25, various foamies and a 40 powered F-14 tractor propped jet with a tuned pipe that I bartered for and have yet to get around to messing with it. Oh yeah, and another partially built Eaglet(which I may build as electric) and lastly, I think, a Supersportster 40 biplane balsa kit.

I hope to gain friends, learn more about our hobby and maybe provide some good advice when I can.

mjmccarron

Hello and welcome! I started in 1978 with a Goldberg Falcon 56 MkII. Still have it and fly it when I can. Too many planes in my past to list but you have some great ones. Electrics are more convenient and cleaner but it's nice to have another old Nitro burner on here.

Mike

dwight

Welcome to the forum! You'll find tons of helpful folks here.

Goldberg kits seemed to be pretty popular back in the day. I started in the late 80's with a Goldberg Eagle II.

Dwight

earthsciteach

Welcome! I am certain you will find this forum to be a very friendly and positive place.

Which kit is your Spit (Woah... That rhymes) and Decathlon?

Glad to have you aboard!

jamboree1

Welcome to flitetest! I'm sure you will enjoy building your own models from here and don't forget to look at these forums for member own scratch built designs, as these can often be better and more exciting than FT planes.

RCMasterx

Thanks Mike. When I posted this I got up and went into my "airplane room" and realized I had missed some. Later when I added pictures of my current planes to my profile, I was looking thru pics and realized I had only touched the surface when I included crashed planes. Brought back some fond memories though.

RCMasterx

Thanks Dwight. I enjoyed the build and it really taught me a lot about building that led to learning a lot about repairing!

RCMasterx

Earthsciteach,I don't remember who made the Spit but the Decathlon is a Seagull Model ARF. I should take a few pics of the spitfire and post them. I'll have to get it down from the wall of my barn. Thanks for the welcome.

RCMasterx

Jamboree1, I really love the building process. I have built numerous kits and have a work in progress with a Great Planes Super Sportster 40. I crashed it years ago dumb-thumbing on a low 4-point roll. I have scratch built the wing but haven't finished yet. Making the FT planes are fun and a relaxing project. I have a local print shop print the plans at 100% and go from there. So far so good!

I am looking forward to gaining and hopefully sharing lots of info here!

earthsciteach

Earthsciteach,I don't remember who made the Spit but the Decathlon is a Seagull Model ARF. I should take a few pics of the spitfire and post them. I'll have to get it down from the wall of my barn. Thanks for the welcome.
I'd love to see them! Anything that hangs on the wall of a barn is something interesting in my experience.

RCMasterx

I'd love to see them! Anything that hangs on the wall of a barn is something interesting in my experience.

I'll dig my way back to it and knock the dust off of it. I have no idea where the canopy is but....I DO still have the plans! They are pretty cut up, like novices do...Now that I think about it, the manufacturer should be on the plans. Ok...now I'm starting to get some smoke from those old balsa embers.:D

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I'll dig my way back to it and knock the dust off of it. I have no idea where the canopy is but....I DO still have the plans! They are pretty cut up, like novices do...Now that I think about it, the manufacturer should be on the plans. Ok...now I'm starting to get some smoke from those old balsa embers.:D
I wonder if some of these people would even remember the word “Flitetest” is psyborg the only og member who stayed?

checkerboardflyer

Hello and welcome to the forum. You and I got into the hobby around the same time. I learned how to fly on a Goldberg Falcon 56 and built several other Goldberg kits. Picture below a Goldberg Sky Tiger and a Smith Miniplane that I built. Again, welcome. For some foam board RC tips and resources, visit my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• 5-goldberg-sky-tiger.jpeg
    5-goldberg-sky-tiger.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 14-Sig-Smith-MiniPlane.jpeg
    14-Sig-Smith-MiniPlane.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I wonder if some of these people would even remember the word “Flitetest” is psyborg the only og member who stayed?

A lot of the "Old timers" left around the point FT transitioned to Facebook. Too much influx of problem people. I even left for a few months for that same reason. Too many people trashing threads with unrelated stupid posts. Too many people dragging the OP topic way off its original intention. To many necro posts waking up threads that are irrelevant. General disregard for forum etiquette.

Pretty much ALL the things you have been intentionally doing just to piss people off in the last few months.

The only reason I came back was there were too many real threads going unanswered that I felt should not be ignored if we want the hobby and the FT way to progress.

Bricks

Master member
A lot of the "Old timers" left around the point FT transitioned to Facebook. Too much influx of problem people. I even left for a few months for that same reason. Too many people trashing threads with unrelated stupid posts. Too many people dragging the OP topic way off its original intention. To many necro posts waking up threads that are irrelevant. General disregard for forum etiquette.

Pretty much ALL the things you have been intentionally doing just to piss people off in the last few months.

The only reason I came back was there were too many real threads going unanswered that I felt should not be ignored if we want the hobby and the FT way to progress.

I do not even go on the FlightTest Facebook page as you mentioned above for the reason.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter

You forgot to mention all the one toxic boomer.

SSgt Duramax

I feel like I was 14 or 15 when the forum thing really started taking off. Before that we had the email lists. Such things were seriously frowned upon in early forums. I know of quite a few sites where the above would get you banned, or at the very least flamed within an inch of your life still. I feel like lots of folks who are younger than I missed out on learning forum etiquette somehow but also can't seem to take a hint. I can't deal with facebook. I was on it before it was "cool" and peoples parents started getting on it. All social media is a cesspool these days. I say bring back myspace.

I do not even go on the FlightTest Facebook page as you mentioned above for the reason.

Or any facebook page for that matter. I made the mistake of joining the local Audi clubs facebook page, you can't weed out pertinent information through all the junk.

You forgot to mention all the one toxic boomer.

I'm a millennial, and I find it seriously annoying too. It isn't that hard to look at the time stamp when something was posted. Even the "old" people can manage that. There are times when a necropost is appropriate, but they are rare.