Hello I need some Advice!

WingZeroC

I am new to flying non toy grade craft. I bought a FT Seaduck and am looking for a radio that will work for it properly. I want to keep it kind of cheap (less than 100). I am looking at the Turnigy 9x or the Spektrum DXe. The reviews for them seem all over the place but they seem to have the mixing capability needed for differential thrust. The ability to bind and fly RTF planes would be cool but the idea of building the FT planes seems more enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have 4 different radio setups here and the one that is best and therefore slowly replacing the others is my Turnigy iA6 2A. Best range and overall performance I have ever experienced in a cheap radio setup.

WingZeroC

Thanks for the response. I was finally able to talk to some one at my hobby shop. I will go with the Spektum. The features of that radio defiantly are worth the cost. It should also have no problem doing the thrust differential control.

WingZeroC

Spektrum Dx6e

It looks like the best option for the Sea Duck is the DX6e the DXe does not have programmable mixes but the DX6e has 4. Or to use a V tail mixer on the motors to achieve differential thrust.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just ensure that you do a proper preflight test before each flight. A couple of the users of the DX6e here have experienced unexplained servo setting reversals between flying days. The reversals have cost a few models to date.

jack10525

Just ensure that you do a proper preflight test before each flight. A couple of the users of the DX6e here have experienced unexplained servo setting reversals between flying days. The reversals have cost a few models to date.

I swear that has happened to my dx6i. Or it may just be my bad flying!!! lol

repoman85

walter brown
Dx6. Comes with a 6ch rx...great deal you can look around sometime get it cheaper..around 200 well worth the money

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The 9x is a decent radio for the price. With a couple bucks in mods you have a poor man's Taranis and tons of hackability. Personally knowing what I do now, I'd save my pennies until I could afford a taranis. It's quite literally the most bulletproof system I've ever worked with. The protocol is second to none, I've never once dropped signal (even with over 300 other aircraft in the air) and with some nicer gimbals it's a nicer feeling radio than most of the spektrum systems. I should also add that it's not nearly as hard to program as people make it out to be. 3-4 10 minute videos and you're set.