Hello! Iam new to the hobby and I just want to know are my parts compatible?

quorneng

Master member
5 servo on a 2A BEC?
No unless you know exactly what you are doing.
It is possible but only if the servos are micro small and use mechanically efficient linkages and hinges.

The 52" AN2 in my avatar has 7 servos (1 elevator, 2 aileron and 4 for flaps) all on a 2A BEC but they are only 3.7 g size and the plane is made of thin Depron so is very light. ;)

I would agree with Merv designing your own 'first' plane is a huge risk. The chances of success are slim.
If you start with a 'known' design it will have recommendations for the critical things like a suitable motor & prop and the balance point. These will have been made by either the designer or from people who have built and flown it.
With an 'own design' the best help you can expect will be best guesses that can be interpreted for any pictures or dimensions. There are lots of not so obvious features in any design that are vital for it to even fly and even more for it to fly well.

I have designed quite a range of different types of plane. They do all fly but believe you me some fly so much better than others.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What specs I need to run 4 servos?
A 3a BEC will power 4, 9g servos.
There is no standard for BEC's. Some ESC's will have a BEC with more amps than others. A 3 amp BEC is common, I look for ESC's with a 4-5 amp BEC.

quorneng

Master member
M4RT1N1
I would suggest the 2 amps on the receiver is the maximum they recommend the servo load should be.
With a conventional 'plug the servos into the receiver' the full amps to power the servo motors goes through the receiver circuit board.
I have not seen such a figure written on any of my receivers although in the specification a maximum number of servo (3 or4) is usually recommended.
Obviously the bits you have are suitable for each other. If you want to use 3 or more servos you may have to consider using smaller ones and in appropriate sized plane.

However there is a danger you may be over thinking it. There are lots of simple planes out their that use the same sort of RC stuff as yours perfectly successfully. It is far more likely that you or your design will result in a crash than the equipment actual fails.

Last edited:

M4RT1N1

M4RT1N1
I would suggest the 2 amps on the receiver is the maximum they recommend the servo load should be.
With a conventional 'plug the servos into the receiver' the full amps to power the servo motors goes through the receiver circuit board.
I have not seen such a figure written on any of my receivers although in the specification a maximum number of servo (3 or4) is usually recommended.
Obviously the bits you have are suitable for each other. If you want to use 3 or more servos you may have to consider using smaller ones and in appropriate sized plane.

However there is a danger you may be over thinking it. There are lots of simple planes out their that use the same sort of RC stuff as yours perfectly successfully. It is far more likely that you or your design will result in a crash than the equipment actual fails.
M4RT1N1

I did some research and I am about 80% sure AFHDS 2A is a protocol.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Why on my receiver is written 2 amps? Does it mean it will draw 2 amps?
The 2A on your Rx is not referring to 2 amps.
It’s prat of the protocol designation AFHDS 2A.

In an Rx, all of the positive pins are connected AND all of the negative pins are connected, both have a separate rail. Only the signal pins are separated from each other. The servos draw power from the rail, not the Rx. You could just as easily make this power connection outside the Rx, it’s just more convenient to use the power rail. You can’t overload the Rx. You can draw enough power from the BEC to cause the voltage to sag. The voltage can drop below what the Rx needs & it will quit working. It will reboot when the voltage comes back. This is also known as a brown out.

Last edited:

M4RT1N1

The 2A on your Rx is not referring to 2 amps.
It’s prat of the protocol designation AFHDS 2A.

In an Rx, all of the positive pins are connected AND all of the negative pins are connected, both have a separate rail. Only the signal pins are separated from each other. The servos draw power from the rail, not the Rx. You could just as easily make this power connection outside the Rx, it’s just more convenient to use the power rail. You can’t overload the Rx. You can draw enough power from the BEC to cause the voltage to sag. The voltage can drop below what the Rx needs & it will quit working. It will reboot when the voltage comes back. This is also known as a brown out.
Will I be okay with 4a 5,5V SBEC?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How much receiver will draw?
I've never seen any actual data on how much a Rx draws. I suspect it's somewhere between very little & negligible. A 3 amp BEC can very reliably power 4 9g servos. At 3/4 amp each, that is 100% of the BEC output.

I've seen some power more than 4 servos on 3 amps and get by with it. A servos amp draw depends on how hard it is being used. If it has a light load, the amperage load is much less. There is a difference from doing lazy circles in the sky and flying very fast or hard banging 3D flying. With 3 amps you are safe with 4 servos, fly as hard & fast as you want.

quorneng

Master member
M4RT1H1
A 6 channel 2.4 GHz receiver will draw somewhere around 100 to 120 mA. I found the old 35/72 mHz type took a bit less around 40-80 mA.
I actually measured it during my testing for 'duration' flying as the plane ended up only using an average of 980 mA and that included the motor! :eek: so the receiver load had started to become significant over a long flight.