Hello, new hobbyist

hiroshiman

Cheers everyone, I'm about to start my first build, Simple Cub, and I will have a few questions that I will post right away in the right sections.
I'm ordering some parts from the shop, and will have to buy things like the batteries from here, Switzerland, as it costs an arm to have them sent oversee.

Cheers

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Cheers everyone, I'm about to start my first build, Simple Cub, and I will have a few questions that I will post right away in the right sections.
I'm ordering some parts from the shop, and will have to buy things like the batteries from here, Switzerland, as it costs an arm to have them sent oversee.

Cheers
How's the build going? Haven't heard from you in a bit.

hiroshiman

How's the build going? Haven't heard from you in a bit.
Hi mate, thank's for inquiring.

Well FDS pointed out that a Simple Scout would be easier to fly for a noob so I printed the plans and built half the plane. I'm stuck because I haven't received the batteries, servo tester and push rods, and it's time to install the servos obviously. I would love to finish it and fly it but I'll have to be a bit patient. I'll start with 3 channels and update later if I manage to fly that "thing".

Cheers

Piotrsko

Master member
Don't need a servo tester if you have a working reciever, they are interchangeable, the tester is just easier to use. Make a 4 cell battery pack if you have to, should have been one in the radio kit. Make your own push rods from 1-2 mm stiff craft wire. (.032" american or F solid guitar string)

Last edited:

hiroshiman

Don't need a servo tester if you have a working reciever, they are interchangeable, the tester is just easier to use. Make a 4 cell battery pack if you have to, should have been one in the radio kit. Make your own push rods from 1-2 mm stiff craft wire. (.032" american or F solid guitar string)

Thanks for the tip. I did not think of that but it does sound logical that you can tune them without a tester.

I'll rather wait. I don't have a battery pack, and as soon as I start building I will want to finish in one go. On the push rod topic, being a guitar player, I can't think of guitar strings stiff enough for that purpose. I'll check my strings at home out of curiosity ;)

Thx again

hiroshiman

Actually I'm surprised there is no "build section" in the forum. Did I miss it? It feels like the scratch build section is not for those blindly following blue prints.

Anyway it looks like this for now :

IMG-20191018-WA0005.jpeg

Piotrsko

Master member
There is a build section loosely defined by name, but it isn't enforced. Easier to search by name and see if it is what you want.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Actually I'm surprised there is no "build section" in the forum. Did I miss it? It feels like the scratch build section is not for those blindly following blue prints.

Anyway it looks like this for now :

View attachment 146086
Looking good! About as clean as it gets. You've definitely had a hidden talent for building foamboard aircraft! My first build(s) were nowhere near that nice!

hiroshiman

There is a build section loosely defined by name, but it isn't enforced. Easier to search by name and see if it is what you want.

I'm going to guess it's "Swappables and other FT designs".

Looking good! About as clean as it gets. You've definitely had a hidden talent for building foamboard aircraft! My first build(s) were nowhere near that nice!

Thanks ;) I like building things. My favourite material is wood, I built a few guitars, things for the kitchen, music boxes, laminated bows, whatever sound like fun at the moment, or whatever would please my sweet wife.

Mmmmh, checking the forum while answering you, but I might start building a little Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane just to kill time, it looks amazing (^_^)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm going to guess it's "Swappables and other FT designs".

Thanks ;) I like building things. My favourite material is wood, I built a few guitars, things for the kitchen, music boxes, laminated bows, whatever sound like fun at the moment, or whatever would please my sweet wife.

Mmmmh, checking the forum while answering you, but I might start building a little Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane just to kill time, it looks amazing (^_^)
The thing with the DR1 is that it flies better than you do. You've got to be super smooth on the sticks. Darn. That plane is in here somewhere...

20191023_024339(0).jpg

You're making me want to fly it again. That's pretty cool! I never did give it all the love it deserves.

hiroshiman

The thing with the DR1 is that it flies better than you do. You've got to be super smooth on the sticks. Darn. That plane is in here somewhere...

You're making me want to fly it again. That's pretty cool! I never did give it all the love it deserves.

That looks like, *cough cough* a lot of planes ^_^

FT description says the following: "The FT DR1 Triplane was designed to build fast, fly slow and look great both on the ground and in the air. We put a lot of effort into taking a design that is known for being a handful and making easy to both build and fly." So I guess this needs to be verified by a newbie. I'll be the Guinea Pig, it's for a good cause.

On my way to read your build thread now!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That looks like, *cough cough* a lot of planes ^_^

FT description says the following: "The FT DR1 Triplane was designed to build fast, fly slow and look great both on the ground and in the air. We put a lot of effort into taking a design that is known for being a handful and making easy to both build and fly." So I guess this needs to be verified by a newbie. I'll be the Guinea Pig, it's for a good cause.

On my way to read your build thread now!
You can do this. The "build fast" part is really not. It's got three wings and all the supports. It's not a quick and easy build. It is however, very rewarding when you first see it in the air. It LOOKs like a frackin' triplane! I can still feel that elation when I got her settled down and started flying her. Just wonderful.

It's relatively small compared to other FT planes, but it's just so majestic in the sky. I'm excited for you. Keep us posted with build pics, and don't forget the flight video! :)

hiroshiman

It does look amazing I agree. I've watched you guys video in the Triplane Tribuild and I'm looking forward to try it too (y)
I'll try to take a few pictures of the build but I'm so focused when I do that that I tend to forget. I will make a thread though.

I received what I needed to carry on with the build, so I'll be working on the scout this week-end!