Hello! New to the hobby

Zinga

Bought a Cub May last year to fly at the park while I look after my kids on the weekends, prompted due to the wife starting back at work and rostered every weekend (casual role). I thought it be a good way to entertain myself whilst whilst the kids play. Im somewhat addicted now. Heres a vid of my latest (and ugliest) scratchbuild punching holes in the sky. Its a 150% FT 3D with a few design mods but flies alright i reckon. Bit floppy in places but hey, adds to the excitement...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Bought a Cub May last year to fly at the park while I look after my kids on the weekends, prompted due to the wife starting back at work and rostered every weekend (casual role). I thought it be a good way to entertain myself whilst whilst the kids play. Im somewhat addicted now. Heres a vid of my latest (and ugliest) scratchbuild punching holes in the sky. Its a 150% FT 3D with a few design mods but flies alright i reckon. Bit floppy in places but hey, adds to the excitement...
That's awesome man! Looks like you have been flying for awhile, doing rolls and inverts. It must be a 3 channel RET the way you are using rudder a lot. Do you have any plans for any other builds?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Haha that was hilarious watching the tail flop all over the place:ROFLMAO: That was some great flying though!!

Zinga

I upgraded to a DX6 which came with a bonus 6ch reciever so using that. I'm a self taught lone flyer mostly so rudder habits are organic I guess. Took a couple of months before I even realised what "bank and yank" actually was, lol.
Build plan dreams are for a 3D biplane but that's a way off yet. Currently 1/4 of the way through a profile Yak but ol floppy tail "Big Pig" seems to demand the most attention. Flys on rails one day, wife accidentally crushes a wing the next, spend next 3 outings ironing out the kinks and retrimming.... exhausting but educational.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm a self taught lone flyer mostly so rudder habits are organic I guess. Took a couple of months before I even realised what "bank and yank" actually was, lol.
I started on RET as well and I was so nervous to do the 3 channel AET for the longest time. Now that I have flown a lot over the past 9 months I would have to say that if I was to teach a newbie I would go straight to the AET. If you do your next plane and because you already have the rudder experience I would say don't short yourself and cut in some ailerons, it doesn't get any better then that.

If you like the biplanes but don't want to jump into the 3D stuff go with the Baby Blender. I did mine as a 4 channel and it was great, makes for a great trainer as well. Easy to fly slow, easy to fly fast, still maneuverable as it gets and it looks so cool in the air. This pic is just after the build...
20190815_222713.jpg

And here is a teaser vid... the end was a landing, I have gotten better at it now, just a testament to how strong you can build this plane :LOL:

I did do some mods to it like lengthen the tail by 3" to make it more stable in the pitch axis, put dihedral in the top wing for roll stability, then swept the wings back some and made just a single cockpit, just cuz it looks cool (y)

Attachments

• 20190815_222804.jpg
    20190815_222804.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Zinga

I started on RET as well and I was so nervous to do the 3 channel AET for the longest time. Now that I have flown a lot over the past 9 months I would have to say that if I was to teach a newbie I would go straight to the AET. If you do your next plane and because you already have the rudder experience I would say don't short yourself and cut in some ailerons, it doesn't get any better then that.

I just had to google RET and AET wondering what is this mysterious thing, lol. Cant say I've ever flow a RET or AET only RAET, sometimes with an F also. I couldnt get that ugly plane in the clip to buck without full length AILS and decent throws.