Hello to all and a question:

FredJr

First of all, Greetings to everyone here. I have enjoyed all of my Flite Test aircraft thus far but without paint. I feel the need to paint my next planes especially after seeing some of the great paint jobs done on FT prototypes. OK as far as experience, I have a lot what with painting guitars and plastic models for years BUT foam board is a different animal. I am ok with roughing up the surface for paint adhesion but my main bug-boo is painting with servos in place, either aileron or rear mount elevator / rudder. Any and all painting tips appreciated. Thanks!

FredJr

OK thanks all - actually painting the servos goes against the grain but if that's what it takes I'll give it a shot on my new Scout. Then I'll take on the P-40 so I can do justice to my favorite plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
OK thanks all - actually painting the servos goes against the grain but if that's what it takes I'll give it a shot on my new Scout. Then I'll take on the P-40 so I can do justice to my favorite plane.
@BATTLEAXE has a group build thread dedicated to the p-40 that you can post your progress on and gain inspiration from the amazing things he and @PoorManRC have done on their builds. Good luck!
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/next-level-p-40-group-build.60167/

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As usual I have a different approach to painting. I cut out the servo mounting holes, (if any), and then fit and remove the control horns.

Now I seal the bird and paint. Then I fit the servos and control horns Etc when the paint is dry. As I use hotmelt to fit my servos and it really adheres to the painted surface it is better all round, (for me).

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Myself and like @Grifflyer I paint over everything as far as servos go. Mechanically it doesn't harm or hinder performance that I have noticed. I know painting guitars you would never paint over pick-ups or the such, not only does it look shoddy but degrades sound performance. Makes for a lazy looking finished product, but for planes I am not a big fan of having the servos visually stick out like it would be a high end pick-up on a guitar. I like it to blend in to the paint scheme, really the servos for a realistic look, (like I am sure you would do if you built the P-40) you would want it to be as scale as possible, hence hiding the servos as much as possible. Here is a pic of my late P-40 and you be the judge:
This is the look I was going for
AIi6H3Q.png

This is how it turned out
20190922_144742.jpg

Now if I would have masked off or installed the servo after, there would be 2 bright blue servos in the white of the tail, really breaking up the color and look of the plane. In the sky as it's flying past at 50mph it doesn't really matter, you won't be worrying about your servo color...
Especially when it looks like this after your maiden:
20190928_101232.jpg

This was a loss of signal issue, if you build the P-40 there is no guarantee that yours will meet the same fate lol. Never a dull moment in this hobby :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the forums and if you want to document your build feel free to use this group build thread, link here. Good luck and have fun

FredJr

Myself and like @Grifflyer I paint over everything as far as servos go. Mechanically it doesn't harm or hinder performance that I have noticed. I know painting guitars you would never paint over pick-ups or the such, not only does it look shoddy but degrades sound performance. Makes for a lazy looking finished product, but for planes I am not a big fan of having the servos visually stick out like it would be a high end pick-up on a guitar. I like it to blend in to the paint scheme, really the servos for a realistic look, (like I am sure you would do if you built the P-40) you would want it to be as scale as possible, hence hiding the servos as much as possible. Here is a pic of my late P-40 and you be the judge:
This is the look I was going for
View attachment 148001
This is how it turned out
View attachment 148002

Now if I would have masked off or installed the servo after, there would be 2 bright blue servos in the white of the tail, really breaking up the color and look of the plane. In the sky as it's flying past at 50mph it doesn't really matter, you won't be worrying about your servo color...
Especially when it looks like this after your maiden: View attachment 148003
This was a loss of signal issue, if you build the P-40 there is no guarantee that yours will meet the same fate lol. Never a dull moment in this hobby :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the forums and if you want to document your build feel free to use this group build thread, link here. Good luck and have fun
Sounds to me like you have some very valid points. I was always under the impression that paint would get into the works. Looks like that does not happen. P-40 is next it looks like but it will take a while since I really need to round off that lower cowl. Actually my fave is the "B" model as flown by my personal heroes, the AVG a.k.a. Flying Tigers. Ding Hao!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Sounds to me like you have some very valid points. I was always under the impression that paint would get into the works. Looks like that does not happen. P-40 is next it looks like but it will take a while since I really need to round off that lower cowl. Actually my fave is the "B" model as flown by my personal heroes, the AVG a.k.a. Flying Tigers. Ding Hao!
As I understand, the one I built is a New Zealand paint job, I have heard.

FredJr

As I understand, the one I built is a New Zealand paint job, I have heard.
I am a dyed in the wool P-40 FREAK and you are quite right about the NZ connection. I have tons of P-40 info but my pride & joy is my signed copy of RT Smith's diary and a hand written letter from him. RT was a Hell's Angel (3rd squadron).

FredJr

As usual I have a different approach to painting. I cut out the servo mounting holes, (if any), and then fit and remove the control horns.

Now I seal the bird and paint. Then I fit the servos and control horns Etc when the paint is dry. As I use hotmelt to fit my servos and it really adheres to the painted surface it is better all round, (for me).

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice. I'm ready to rock now. Wasn't sure of hot glue stuck t a painted surface. Guess it does!