Hello! trying to start my simple cub

Just getting started on my first kit, the Simple Cub. Trying to follow the build video for it. I ordered the B pack for mine and the video is describing the C pack. Got to engine take apart and install x-brace. My engine (2213) does not have x-brace. Got to looking at bubblepack motor was in says for copters. The bag said fixed wing b-pack. Any chance I have wrong motor? What should I do?

OliverW

Legendary member
Just getting started on my first kit, the Simple Cub. Trying to follow the build video for it. I ordered the B pack for mine and the video is describing the C pack. Got to engine take apart and install x-brace. My engine (2213) does not have x-brace. Got to looking at bubblepack motor was in says for copters. The bag said fixed wing b-pack. Any chance I have wrong motor? What should I do?
You have the right motor. I flew mine off the same power pack. Use the shortest bolts, and mount those through the closest holes to the big hole in the center of the firewall. I hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm just going to bolt it without having an x-brace. Hopefully the rest will go smoothly. Once I get past this power pack, I think the rest will go smoothly.

Once again, Thanks!

moret

Just a note if my mind is working right. The bolts holes in the firewall and back of the motor are two different distance apart. Side to side different from up to down. . If you can not get the holes to line up correct, turn the motor 90 degrees. Does not take much to mess up my mind and that did

😆 LOL! Not much different here! I will definitely keep that in mind. Should I be thinking about building in some downthrust? Or will it be there by the time I add it to the Cub?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
😆 LOL! Not much different here! I will definitely keep that in mind. Should I be thinking about building in some down thrust? Or will it be there by the time I add it to the Cub?

if you are using a kit, the down thrust will already be cut into the plans. if scratch building just make sure to follow the cut lines as laid out. now that i'm thinking about it though, i don't remember the cub having any offset? you would think after as many of them as i have built (15+), i would remember... :LOL:

good luck,

me :cool:

Thanks guys! As straight as the "B pack/pod" looks, I figured it was built in. I've got the FT kit, so it looks to be easier. The way things are looking, I think I SHOULD have also got the P-40.

The only other foam building I've done was nerd nics Chuckstangs with my grandsons. The FT foamboard is MUCH better than Dollar Tree foam!

Thanks again guys. Starting to like this Forum thing.

Ed from Ohio

Hey I'm a fellow newbie and my 11 year old saved up and bought himself a Simple Cub. We are about 3/4s of the way through the build video (which has different receiver than what was in his kit--he has a Spektrum AR620 vs the 610 shown.) We figured out how to bind it to the remote and went to verify we'd connected properly. When engaging the throttle, it appears we get super low rpms and a knocking/pulsing noise. I would attach the video, but the .mov or .mp4 file is not allowed. Its a EMAX Multicopter 2213-935KV.

Do we have a bad motor? Is there some connection we have incorrect?

How do I upload a video file?

Thanks in advance! I did do a forum search, but didn't find anything.

whackflyer

Master member
Make sure you’re using the short screws to attach the motor to the firewall. Look inside the motor and see if the screws are close to or touching the windings of the motor. Can the motor spin freely when spun by hand? Also, it could be a bad solder joint. Verify that your bullet connectors are soldered well by tugging on them while holding on to the wire. Hope this helps. There’s others on this forum that know more than me, but it’s what I know! Good luck!

Ed from Ohio

Make sure you’re using the short screws to attach the motor to the firewall. Look inside the motor and see if the screws are close to or touching the windings of the motor. Can the motor spin freely when spun by hand? Also, it could be a bad solder joint. Verify that your bullet connectors are soldered well by tugging on them while holding on to the wire. Hope this helps. There’s others on this forum that know more than me, but it’s what I know! Good luck!

Screws are not touching the windings. One of the solder joints in one of the bullet connectors was indeed broken on the ESC side. The motor, when turned by hand, does not have a smooth feel. It feels as if its clicking every 1/8th turn or so. I'll try posting the video to youtube.

whackflyer

Master member
I'm supposing you fixed the solder joint before you took the video? If you're not scared to take your motor apart, remove the circlip and any washers from the rear of the motor shaft, then the can should come off. It will offer some resistance because of the magnets, but it should come. Make sure you don't have any small pieces of junk in the motor that could be obstructing movement and make sure none of the magnets in the can are loose. Good luck!

Edit: Looking at the video, it still sounds like you have a bad solder joint somewhere, but that's my unproffesional opinion.

checkerboardflyer

Some of the motors come with both long screws and short screws for mounting. If you used the long screws they could be hitting the back of the motor. If that is the problem, just take the long ones out and and replace with the short ones.

Ed from Ohio

@whackflyer the video is pre-discovery of the bad solder joint. I'll try to repair the solder joint tomorrow and retest. This is definitely outside my area of expertise! The 11 year old bought this and built it without any help, and then came to me when he got stuck trying to figure out how to plug in the control wires to the AR620 receiver that came with the kit. So I'm playing catch up in an area where I am but the learner. Thanks for the ideas and tips! Appreciate it a ton! The 11 year old insists he's installed the short screws, and we removed them and ran the motor un-attached to the firewall and got the same knocking effect.