Hello

Russellb

Just wanted to say hi and thank you. I have always wanted to fly rc airplanes but something was always more important. Now I found the YouTube page and see it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get involved. I'm 50 and my son and I want to build and fly planes together. I hope to make many great acquaintances on this form. And look forward to learning.
Planes 0
Flights 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
we all start at 0/0. get yourself a simulator and start training. it's all muscle memory and the best way to build that wilthout killing all your planes is on the sim.

welcome and good luck,

me :cool:

Russellb

we all start at 0/0. get yourself a simulator and start training. it's all muscle memory and the best way to build that wilthout killing all your planes is on the sim.

welcome and good luck,

me :cool:
Thank you. How does a simulator work? I assume I will be needing a transmitter. And download software?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums, if you have a club in the area, I'd recommend joining it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome to our family Russellb! I can say from personal experience that simulator time was crucial to my successful first maiden flights. You will have to have a transmitter to fly one. The sim time builds muscle memory and you'll find you recover from most noob mistakes without even thinking about it. Your thumbs just kind of do it. That's my personal experience, anyway.

I am also 50 and the fact you want to fly with your son is awesome! Anytime we can connect with our family on a shared interest is great. The youngin's move on before we know it.

As for the sim, I've got a link in this thread. I am not endorsing anybody and you don't have to buy it from there. That's just where I got mine.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/phoenix-rc-and-ft-models.56476/

There are past and present members of this forum who have managed to get most of FliteTest's planes modeled and into that $14 dollar simulator. I've only Real Life experience with the Tiny Trainer, but I've found that the simulated version flys a lot like the actual.

There's my next point. I would suggest the Tiny Trainer as your first plane. I am biased, since it is not only the first, but the only plane I've flown. However, I did successfully fly it my first time out, thanks to how it is designed and the practice time on the simulator. That is exceptionally rare for a first ever maiden flight.

Regardless, I want to say welcome and I am glad you and your son are here!

Russellb

Welcome to our family Russellb! I can say from personal experience that simulator time was crucial to my successful first maiden flights. You will have to have a transmitter to fly one. The sim time builds muscle memory and you'll find you recover from most noob mistakes without even thinking about it. Your thumbs just kind of do it. That's my personal experience, anyway.

I am also 50 and the fact you want to fly with your son is awesome! Anytime we can connect with our family on a shared interest is great. The youngin's move on before we know it.

As for the sim, I've got a link in this thread. I am not endorsing anybody and you don't have to buy it from there. That's just where I got mine.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/phoenix-rc-and-ft-models.56476/

There are past and present members of this forum who have managed to get most of FliteTest's planes modeled and into that $14 dollar simulator. I've only Real Life experience with the Tiny Trainer, but I've found that the simulated version flys a lot like the actual.

There's my next point. I would suggest the Tiny Trainer as your first plane. I am biased, since it is not only the first, but the only plane I've flown. However, I did successfully fly it my first time out, thanks to how it is designed and the practice time on the simulator. That is exceptionally rare for a first ever maiden flight.

Regardless, I want to say welcome and I am glad you and your son are here!
Thanks for the info.

Russellb

Finished our first plane. Just waiting for transmitter in the mail. It was a fun build and thanks to all of you for your advice. TT is the best place to start. 👍
Planes 1
Flights 0
IMG_20190216_202506.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looking good, Russellb! Now it's time get that 1 and 0 to 1 and MANY! Once your transmitter arrives and you get it set up, don't forget to post a short video of the control surfaces moving with your transmitter in the video. Really, It doesn't take that much effort and could save you a very avoidable, disastrous crash.

I hope your transmitter gets here, soon. I can't wait to see the Maiden video! :)