Hello :)

Bastich

That is a fair amount heavier. I will have a look at what he gets and if its to heavy go with the proper stuff for builds. May get some for practice still thou.

Here is a video of my DIY 1s 100mm brushed quad. Even though I have some brushless ones this is still my current favourite due to it being so light and nimble.

FDS

Elite member
Trust us, we have looked into EVERY foamboard option. Including buying direct from FT’s manufacturer in the USA.
The FT plans are designed around their lighter board, you can make some out of heavier UK/EU board but to do so takes a little experience and practice, both of which are best acquired after you have a plane that is easy to fly and you can get airborne relatively easily.
Flying one teaches you how to build more and inspires your next build.
I have a QX90 like that. They are pretty good.

kdobson83

Why not just get the 3mm stuff from Hobbyking and then use packing tape to cover it. The experimentalairlines guy on YouTube does wonders with foam covered in packing tape. Packing tape is cheap, fairly light if you get the normal stuff (not heavy duty or extreme), more durable than the paper, and is already waterproof! A light sanding and is paintable too! Just apply tape BEFORE cutting the plans out, should be super easy and quick this way. I'd imagine it wouldn't be any heavier than the 5mm Dollar tree stuff. Although you would have to cut your folds smaller.
But I agree with all the above. Start with a speed build kit first, THEN scratch build. Then buy models like the UMX timber or the new Durafly Albatross (Love the way it looks!). Then explain to your wife why you need extra room to store your models. Lol

Reactions: FDS

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Why not just get the 3mm stuff from Hobbyking and then use packing tape to cover it. The experimentalairlines guy on YouTube does wonders with foam covered in packing tape.
I agree Ed form Experimental Airlines does a great job. Ed has inspired me to cover all my planes with tape. I believe he uses Adams foamboard aka DTFB.

I believe Ed inspired Andrew Newton to use tape or laminate covered depron.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Tape covered depron is a lot of fun to work with. The 3mm stuff can make incredibly tight radius... But, like was said before, you should keep your first build simple as possible.

+1 on the UMX timber, still one of my favorite planes. Not Super durable but between the SAFE mode and slow stable flight characteristics its a great plane to learn with.