Help a FPV NewB out!

luvmy40

Elite member
I bought this camera/xmitter a while back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5D8SPZ/?tag=lstir-20

I just ordered these goggles from Flite Test. https://store.flitetest.com/rhd430-fpv-box-goggles/

I plan to install the camera on my DR1, or build the AP Mini Mirage for it. The plane doesn't matter. The question is, what is the best way to power the camera/xmitter? A separate 1s battery? if so, do I need a stand alone BEC or can I plug the battery directly to the camera? I have several of the FT EZ batteries, will they work?

I know, stupid questions from an idiot. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You can get away with using the 5V bec that powers the servos. It won't be the cleanest power, but will do in a pinch. Usually it is best to feed FPV on it's own ubec to minimize noise from the servos. But on small builds, I just run it off an unused servo port on the receiver.

LB

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
unless your on 1s, do not power that off your battery, you will likely fry it. [it says 3.3 to 5.5v]. So like LitterBug said, its own BEC is best, but if your servos are being ran at 5v, you could power it off an empty servo port on the RX - just expect noise in your video, especially when the servos move fast.

joelspangler

The camera you bought has selectable outputs. On the 25mW and 50mW output settings, you'll almost certainly be fine just plugging into an empty servo port, but if you want to use the 200mW setting, you should either wire in a separate BEC or just plug into a separate 1s battery. I've used mini-quad batteries for this purpose many times. I even made a holder for the camera + battery that I just Velcro on top of several different planes, as well as rc cars. the holder is about the length+width of a stick of gum (but not as thick) with the camera on one end with the battery taking up the rest of the length.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
It was easiest to just use one of the many little 1s lipos I have around.

IMG_20221123_001851300.jpg

luvmy40

Elite member
Thanks for the replies! I'll likely use the 1s batteries I have for the EZ planes. I wasn't sure if they could power the camera directly or they also needed to run through a BEC.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Thanks for the replies! I'll likely use the 1s batteries I have for the EZ planes. I wasn't sure if they could power the camera directly or they also needed to run through a BEC.
They deliver plenty of power. I run mine at 200mw all the time and never have issues.

luvmy40

Elite member
For my FPV planes I use a JST connector that fits my battery balance lead and wire it to the correct voltage for FPV transmitter. Use a volt meter check which pins give the voltage needed for the video set up you have. No mess, extra stuff, neat and tidy.

Good article of what I am talking about.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos/balance-connectors
I did not read the linked info yet.

Wouldn't this configuration cause an imbalanced discharge of your main LiPo?

Bo123

Elite member
Huh, I used a 2s for mine and it was fine.

luvmy40

Elite member
My goggles from FT came in yesterday and a tiny whoop size FPV drone combo package from Buddy RC came in today.

I can't fit my glasses in either set of goggles. I can see well enough without them in either goggle to navigate but it's not very satisfying with everything blurry. BTW, the little $99.00 drone combo(drone, controller and goggles) is very easy to fly and, other than less than phenomenal battery life, is well worth the $ in mind. And, the goggles will link with my other FPV transmitter.

I made a new gasket for the FT goggles to let me wear my glasses with them. It's marginally better. With my progressive lenses, its just no possible to get the focal point right in the goggles. I think I will take the goggles and camera stack to a pharmacy that has the reading glasses rack and see if I can find one that works in the goggles for me.

Are there any tricks or known solutions to this issue that I am not privy to?