Help buying first DLG?

MaxTheFliteFreak

Hello
I have recently found a passion for discus launch gliders or F3K and I was thinking of buying one. I will accumulate money by walking dogs, but one thing I cannot decide is which DLG to buy once I have the money for one. I understand that they are expensive airframes because oc the time spent building them, but I sould like to buy one that is relatively cheap compared to it's quality, something around a meter, something with flaperons, elevator and rudder and preferably carvon fibre, kevlar or fiberglass. Does anybody know of a plane that might suit these specifications?
All help will be much appreciated and have a good day.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
DLG is definitely a ton of fun, but yes hard to “get into”.

I strongly suggest your first DLG to be used. You will save a ton of money that way, and as long as it is still flyable you will get a great deal. If there isn’t anyone local to you, look at the RCGroups classifieds: https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-sailplanes-fs-w-100/

Another good starter option, if you don’t mind building and assembly, is the “VICK DLG”: https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=BIG-VICK

Good luck!

MaxTheFliteFreak

DLG is definitely a ton of fun, but yes hard to “get into”.

I strongly suggest your first DLG to be used. You will save a ton of money that way, and as long as it is still flyable you will get a great deal. If there isn’t anyone local to you, look at the RCGroups classifieds: https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-sailplanes-fs-w-100/

Another good starter option, if you don’t mind building and assembly, is the “VICK DLG”: https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=BIG-VICK

Good luck!
Thankyou very much!

MaxTheFliteFreak

I jave been doing some research and I found the J&H Aerospace Evo Fire 1.5m DLG. I quite like it and I was wondering if the wings were dissassembleable into two pieces?

danskis

Master member
I've been flying DLG for a little over a year now. I've got 2 Vortex 3s that I bought used and a Progress I bought new. I was quite addicted when I started. I strongly suggest you buy a used one...why, because you're most likely going to crash it unless you have a lot of experience with high performance planes (yes gliders can be high performance). The fact is that carbon fiber (CF) dlgs are semi-disposable airframes. Also, you need a transmitter that will handle the complex programming of a dlg if you're flying flaperons - not all transmitters are up to the job. If you're flying a full flaperon plane you can't skimp on servos - you need expensive servos. I would strongly suggest a mentor if there is one available in your area. Also, even if you're young, you have to be careful with your shoulder - you can, but shouldn't, go out and throw it for hours on end day after day. Learn to do some stretching as that will help.

OK, what size dlg? 1 meter or 1.5 meter. Did I mention I also have an Elf? Its a 1 meter, not CF, rudder/elevator only plane that is great for light air. Its really fun but its no competition plane. This might be the place to start for you (a 1 meter plane) as there are lots of advantages. Fits in the car, cheaper servos, easier programming and easier on the budget. The Elf is just fun and scratches my itch for DLG most of the time. I started with hand launch gliders when I was 12 and the Elf takes me back to that time. I haven't tried a 1 meter CF plane so I can't comment on that.

About the Evo - unless you have some experience with balsa kits it may not be easy to build (and depending on the kit it may not be easy to build). If you're thinking of building take a look at the "how to build a foam board dlg" threads.

This might be a good alternative but I don't see a throwing peg on it so it might not be a real dlg. RC Glider DLG F3K SPECTRE Soaring Thermal Hand Launch Glider ~59" wing span | eBay

Start reading the DLG thread on RCgroups too.

Got more questions - post them here.

Last edited:

MaxTheFliteFreak

I've been flying DLG for a little over a year now. I've got 2 Vortex 3s that I bought used and a Progress I bought new. I was quite addicted when I started. I strongly suggest you buy a used one...why, because you're most likely going to crash it unless you have a lot of experience with high performance planes (yes gliders can be high performance). The fact is that carbon fiber (CF) dlgs are semi-disposable airframes. Also, you need a transmitter that will handle the complex programming of a dlg if you're flying flaperons - not all transmitters are up to the job. If you're flying a full flaperon plane you can't skimp on servos - you need expensive servos. I would strongly suggest a mentor if there is one available in your area. Also, even if you're young, you have to be careful with your shoulder - you can, but shouldn't, go out and throw it for hours on end day after day. Learn to do some stretching as that will help.

OK, what size dlg? 1 meter or 1.5 meter. Did I mention I also have an Elf? Its a 1 meter, not CF, rudder/elevator only plane that is great for light air. Its really fun but its no competition plane. This might be the place to start for you (a 1 meter plane) as there are lots of advantages. Fits in the car, cheaper servos, easier programming and easier on the budget. The Elf is just fun and scratches my itch for DLG most of the time. I started with hand launch gliders when I was 12 and the Elf takes me back to that time. I haven't tried a 1 meter CF plane so I can't comment on that.

About the Evo - unless you have some experience with balsa kits it may not be easy to build (and depending on the kit it may not be easy to build). If you're thinking of building take a look at the "how to build a foam board dlg" threads.

This might be a good alternative but I don't see a throwing peg on it so it might not be a real dlg. RC Glider DLG F3K SPECTRE Soaring Thermal Hand Launch Glider ~59" wing span | eBay

Start reading the DLG thread on RCgroups too.

Got more questions - post them here.
Thankyou for your help!