Help choosing parts. Small but powerful?

Jade_Monkey07

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help in picking some parts for future builds. I dont know anything about the modern gear at all. I've got some tight constraints in terms of size of my builds and my budget is tight too. But I'm looking to expand my builds capabilities and functionality
Currently I'm building foamies with wingspan around 50-70 cm with just a simple 2ch differential thrust pusher setup. The reciever I believe is locked to the transmitter, it came off a ready to fly foamy. I'd like to keep it around this size but add in more channels and more power.
Just having and elevator on top of the differential thrust would be wonderful.
Reciever
So I'm thinking of a small reciever with built in servos like this one
Banggood
Can this do Differential thrust? If not im open to suggestions if you know one like this that can.
Differential and elevator is all I really want at this point. But having the option to use thee extra servo for rudder, and add servos for ailerons later maybe.

I'm looking for an inexpensive reciever to go with it. I dont really need anything crazy cant afford a 300$ one. Will this one work with the above reciever?Transmitter
Screenshot_20201205-095000_Chrome.jpg

What batteries go with that reciever? I dont even know where to start there. I'd be open to multiple batteries different voltages(cell count?) for different power levels

And lastly motors. Currently I'm running two of these little brushed motors. 42mm props.
20201205_095648.jpg
Can these be pushed any harder with just a bigger battery(more voltage)? I feel like they dont spin as fast as they could, is this the reciever board maxing them out? or is it the voltage from the battery not high enough? should I go with a set of slightly bigger motors? I just always wish they had more top end. Brushless or permanent magnet? Is one lighter than the other? Given the size of the planes weight is a factor in all these selections.
Any help would be great, I'm feeling in over my head trying to match parts. I've watched all the beginner videos but I'm still confused

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Hmmm. Go brushless. Definitely. Your transmitter is a great budget one. For the receiver, I would go with this one here. As for your battery, I would say go with something like this. You will also need an ESC so check out the Turnigy Plush range on HobbyKing.

Jade_Monkey07

Hmmm. Go brushless. Definitely. Your transmitter is a great budget one. For the receiver, I would go with this one here. As for your battery, I would say go with something like this. You will also need an ESC so check out the Turnigy Plush range on HobbyKing.

I found some 0802 brushless motors. They're 1s motors only. Can that reciever run on a 1s battery? What voltage does the average reciever shut down?

I guess I could run multiple batteries but now were getting above the weight these little planes will fly with

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I actually think that the receiver and transmitter that you chose are good. You would probably need to run it off of 1s (I would say 150 to 250 mah) and a small geared brushed motor like on the 1s umx planes. You can probably find the right motor on bang good too. You should be able to make a small 3 channel plane (about 18-24 inch wingspan if you can keep it pretty light) with that board and a motor, or if you want you could make a glider with just the receiver and a battery as your only electronics.

Jade_Monkey07

Alright so for anyone that might have been curious what I've come up with for my micro builds . After some trial and error, A few different boards and many motor and prop options I've ended up on using a 1s rx with 4 chan, brushed 5a esc on board for my slower builds using a 8520 geared brushed motor and a 137mm prop. The speed is slow but it's perfect for little park fliers like this one

The next setup uses the same board but a separate 10a 2s esc and 1202.5 11500kv motor with a 75mm prop. This is what I will be using on most builds from here out. Tons of power but still lightweight. I'm currently piggybacking 2 300mah 1s batteries. But have a couple 450mah 2s on the way.

I'm getting the rxs and 1.7g servos from minimumrc. They seem to have the best prices for the small 1s boards. Bang good is the only other place I've found the little guys but at almost 2x the cost for a similar product.
The small motors escs and batteries all came from bang good. They're the only place that seems to carry a selection of these micro parts.