Help diagnosis KK2.1.5HC problem HK F330 newbie build

parkerdude

Is it possible to internally damage the KK2.1.5HC board without visible damage.

My thoughts are the FC board acts like it's damaged, but I have no expierence troubleshooting. I'm prepared to replace the FC board, motor and ESC, starting with the FC board.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on how to proceed with a timely repair?

I have ordered replacement FC and ESC, just waiting for them to arrive.

Thank for reading this rather long winded request for help.

Background info:

I have never flown R/C before, but the multi-rotors really look like fun to fly, so I'm trying to learn all things at once. I turn 60 this month, and want something to tinker with.

The learning curve is steep but doable.

I assembled this quadcopter early December 2015, and bought the HK Q-Bot micro quadcopter at the same time to allow indoor practice over the winter.

Thankfully the Q-Bot Micro is durable and not to hard to repair! I have tested it's crash worthiness, and improved my repair skills in the process.

My quad build is:

Hobby King F330 frame
Turnigy D2822/17 1100KV motors
Hobby King Blue series 20a ESCs
Hobby King KK2.1.5HC flight controller
Turnigy 9x TX and RX

The KK2.1.5HC board is mounted inside the the frame.

I removed the bullet connectors from the motors and soldered the connections.

I have only flown, and crashed the F330 twice, and learned from both experiences. The first crash was flying to close to small shrubs and I broke a propeller. The second was I lost orientation and ditched it before I damaged some property.

The last crash broke a frame arm and ripped one of the motor wires from the ESC.

I replaced the broken frame arm and re-soldered the motor wire. Everything seemed to work.

My last attempt to fly was frustrating.

When trying to lift off, the quad flipped over hard. It acted like the left rear motor wasn't spinning-up fully. I held the the quad and raise the throttle to see motor function. The left rear motor seem to speed up and slow down out of sequence. When I tipped the left rear arm down it didn't respond very well.

I plugged in the KK2.1.5HC board remote screen and saw a calibration error, so I re-calibrated the board.

I could take off in "auto level" mode but not without it. I could just get it off the ground and the quad had a low speed oscillation that it didn't have during the last flight.

Once in the air about a foot, if I applied more throttle it would flip violently. If I turned "auto level" off it would only flip over. The right front motor would go to full throttle and the left rear motor just barely throttle up.

Thanks again!

parkerdude

Thanks,

The first 2 flights flew fine, the crashes were my fault. It flew fairly well in "auto level", until my skills in rates showed what was lacking.

parkerdude

I just ran a receiver test via the KK2 board, all 4 channels tested fine. It still tries to flip over when throttle is raised above hovering.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Which ESC was damaged during your crash? It sounds like a faulty connection between the flight controller and the motor. Might not really show up unless there is enough vibration from raising the throttle.

As far as not being able to take off in acro what symptoms are you exhibiting? Is it trying to fly forward? Backward? Yaw? Will it respond do your stick inputs to correct it?

parkerdude

Which ESC was damaged during your crash? It sounds like a faulty connection between the flight controller and the motor. Might not really show up unless there is enough vibration from raising the throttle.

As far as not being able to take off in acro what symptoms are you exhibiting? Is it trying to fly forward? Backward? Yaw? Will it respond do your stick inputs to correct it?

The left rear arm was broken and the motor was only being held on but 2 of the ESC wires. I have to raise the throttle slowly or the quad immediately flips, the right front motor seems to be overpowering the left rear motor.

I can only get it to about 4" - 6" off of the ground, any more throttle makes it flip over. As soon as it's off the ground is starts drifting backwards, full forward pitch barely offsets the backward slide towards me.

helinor

I would start with moving the motor that barely starts to another position on the quad to see if the problem moves with it. If that don´t help, next I would move the esc to another position to see if that is the problem. Just remember to plug it in the right port on the KK corresponding with it´s new position... yeah, i know you soldered them to the motors...:p

Another thing... What sw are you using on the board? If you haven´t updated it I highly recommend that you do. RC911, and Steveis, have made much better sw than the one it comes with. I use RC911s latest on all my KK2s. Flies great on almost stock settings:)

Last edited:

parkerdude

I would start with moving the motor that barely starts to another position on the quad to see if the problem moves with it. If that don´t help, next I would move the esc to another position to see if that is the problem. Just remember to plug it in the right port on the KK corresponding with it´s new position... yeah, i know you soldered them to the motors...:p

Another thing... What sw are you using on the board? If you haven´t updated it I highly recommend that you do. RC911, and Steveis, have made much better sw than the one it comes with. I use RC911s latest on all my KK2s. Flies great on almost stock settings:)

Thanks helinor,
I was leaning toward a similar process of elimination. I have ordered another KK2.1.5HC (board only), and a new ESC. 4 bolts and 8 wires and the KK2 board is out, only because that is so easy.

I'm running a pretty old Mac Mini, so flashing the KK2 software will have to wait a while. The board I have is running software version 1.6

Yes, I soldered everything. Not so much a problem. I don't mind the effort to save the weight.

660 grams with a 1500mah battery :cool:

Do you know of any KK2 boards failing after the shock of a crash? My crash wasn't that bad but it did break an arm, the KK2 board is mounted inside the frame, and doesn't look damaged.

Thank you for helping, I'll be following your suggestions.