Help hiding cracks?

alexanderall

So I was flying my bixler the other day and decided to see how fast I could push it, fair to say that it went pretty fast. But when pulled up out of the dive about 1/4 of my wing snapped off.
WP_20140702_17_32_59_Pro.jpg
I was able to land it without creating any further damage.
Since then I have fixed the wing and it is now structurally sound although im left with a horrible crack from where it broke off.
WP_20140708_19_03_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140708_19_03_26_Pro.jpg

Does anyone know any way of hiding the crack so that it is less obvious.

Thanks
Alex

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Lightweight spackle.

Goop it on, press it in with a puddy knife or smooth edged plastic card (that you no longer care about), then smooth it out. wait for it to dry, then sand it down to smooth with a 300-400 grit sanding sponge/block. should come out nice and smooth -- perhaps smoother than the original finish -- and ready to paint.

be advised it's not quite a durable surface on it's own. a good layer of paint will fix that, though. Paint the wing white to match, or High-vis orange or yellow or . . . whatever your favorite color is. You've got an excuse to make the plane visably yours ;)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Mate, don't sweat it. It will just look like a combat plane. Chicks dig scars.

Did you use hot glue for the repair? If so, just cover it with clear packing tape and run a hot iron over the cracked area. Just be careful not to get the iron too hot.

alexanderall

Thanks for that, I fixed it with the glue that came with it as it seems to hold pretty strong. I think I will have a go at using some spackle to cover it up

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
White gorilla glue. Follow the instructions, let it foam out, trim with razor and sand flat. Fantastic foam glue and gap filler all in one!

jamieFL

If you use the spackle, after sanding, coat with thin CA. It will soak right in and bond the foam to the spackle and harden everything. I use this technique to fill gaps ap
LA the time.

Gryf

Another vote for white Gorilla Glue. Just yesterday I repaired one of the wing roots on my Bixler 2 with the stuff after bouncing it a couple of days ago. Then a few weeks back I had to rebuild and reattach the Bix's nose after a hard "landing", and as Stradawhovious suggests above, just let the Gorilla Glue foam out and then dress it flush with a razor blade. Note that if you get some on your fingers, you'll become a believer. ;-) It's seriously grippy.

I have a little spritz bottle that used to have hair conditioner in it... the Mrs. gave it to me, and it works great for spraying a fine mist of water over the surfaces you need to attach. Gorilla Glue needs water to cure, and the sprayer does a great job of moistening the foam.

Gryf