Help me bring new life to an AS3Xtra

Thorondor

I picked up an old AS3Xtra for $10, the electronics are fine but the airframe has been crunched into nothing. I don't want to buy an airframe from the newer Yak 54 because of how flimsy it is, but I also can't find any airframe kits for 3D foamies this size online. I know WM Parkflyers used to have a micro version of the McFoamie, but it seems to have been discontinued. Anybody know about anything that would work for this?

TooJung2Die

Master member
I see there's a replacement airframe for the AS3Xtra on Amazon and eBay. That's probably the easiest way to reuse the electronics.

OliverW

Legendary member
I actually have no idea what this would work with. You don't really see 3D planes in this size. My AS3Xtra flew great, but the gyro in the brick failed which ended up making it really hard to fly

mayan

Legendary member
I actually have no idea what this would work with. You don't really see 3D planes in this size. My AS3Xtra flew great, but the gyro in the brick failed which ended up making it really hard to fly
I told you he would be able to say something :).

TooJung2Die

Master member
You can cut and build a 3D airplane this size yourself. Take any design you like and scale it down to AS3Xtra size using Acrobat DC. Add up the cost of the thin foam (3mm Depron or MPF?), carbon fiber, Mylar film and foam-safe CA and you'll be over half the price of the retail replacement airframe. But you'll be able to build more than one. I want to try making one of these skeletonized foam frame 3D airplanes someday. The lighter you can make them the more fun they are to fly.

My AS3Xtra flew great, but the gyro in the brick failed which ended up making it really hard to fly
None of my profile 3D foamies have gyro stabilization but they're larger than the AS3Xtra. Why can't it be flown without the gyro? Just too small? Expo is your friend. :D

OliverW

Legendary member
You can cut and build a 3D airplane this size yourself. Take any design you like and scale it down to AS3Xtra size using Acrobat DC. Add up the cost of the thin foam (3mm Depron or MPF?), carbon fiber, Mylar film and foam-safe CA and you'll be over half the price of the retail replacement airframe. But you'll be able to build more than one. I want to try making one of these skeletonized foam frame 3D airplanes someday. The lighter you can make them the more fun they are to fly.

None of my profile 3D foamies have gyro stabilization but they're larger than the AS3Xtra. Why can't it be flown without the gyro? Just too small? Expo is your friend. :D
It uses horizon's all-in-one brick so you can't take the gyro out

OliverW

Legendary member
Huh? o_O Right... LOL :ROFLMAO: I didn't ask the right question.

You said the gyro in the brick failed. Why would that make the airplane unflyable? Just fly it with the stabilization turned off.
You can't actually turn the stabilization off. It made the plane porpuse uncontrollably

TooJung2Die

Master member
Now I understand. Thank you for explaining it to me. :)(y) I never flew an airplane with AS3X or any kind of stabilization. I assumed it could be turned off when you didn't want to use it.

Thorondor

I actually found a Reacter GS kit from who-knows-how long ago at the swap meet, so that'll be what I put the guts into. The plans call for 2S brushless power, but since the flying weight and wingspan are identical for both planes it should work just fine.