Help! Help me choose my next build!

evranch

OK foam flyers, it's way to cold (-20C, gale force winds, freezing rain!?) to fly or to do anything productive. It's time to get going on another FT scratch build.

I'm ordering goggles and a micro FPV cam. So this is going to be a FPV build. I already have a big, long range cruiser that I'm going to set up for long range FPV someday, so that's not what I want out of this FPV plane. Basically, I want a fast aerobatic/racing/combat platform that I can fly at screaming speed over the hills, and I can mount the micro camera on without having to stare at the prop. And if there's a spot where I can put my knockoff GoPro, all the better.

I want it to run on Power Pack C because that's what I can pick up locally at a good price, the same setup that's on my Baron. That kind of rules out all the Mighty Minis, I think, which is too bad. However, smaller motors are only available from expensive brands here.

Almost all the pushers in this range from FT appear to be wings. I've never flown a wing, always been a little wing-curious, but then again, I kind of want something with yaw control, that I can fly in the wind and perform standard aerobatics with. But, if nothing else, I guess it could be a Versa wing or a Spear. The Goblin is cute but it's really just a wing in disguise, and it's power pack F anyways. Then there is the 4-channel FT Explorer but it looks a little dozy.

So... what are my options for fun, aerobatic pusher planes? Coming from another perspective, how hard would it be to mount a camera on a FT tractor plane in a way that I won't have to look through the prop disc? I'd love to build an Edge 540, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the camera.

evranch

@Hai-Lee I've never heard of drag rudders - they sound like a really good addition to a wing, though maybe a little tricky to build. Regular rudders for the goblin seems more suited to my level of foamboard building. I'm thinking place a servo between the two vertical stabs and drive both the rudders from it, much like ailerons are usually driven from a single servo? They would hinge fairly close to the plane of the prop, so shouldn't interfere as long as I keep the throws reasonable.

I'm sure the 2826 motor is massive overkill for the Goblin, it's only specced for a 5x3 prop... maybe scale it up a bit?

The X-29! How did I miss that one! Probably thought it was an EDF model. It looks great and even though it's elevon it looks like a rudder could be easily cut into the v. stab. Looks really cool. Definitely a contender! Edit: Watched the video and yikes, the torque roll with the big prop and little wings. Almost need to launch it with a catapult when flying solo (which is almost always for me)

I also realized the FT Sea Otter is a C pack pusher and might be interesting to fly off of snow in the winter and water in the summer. Going to watch some videos and see how it flies.

Last edited:

eeck62

The Goblin and the Superbee are awesome FPV planes that can go both fast and slow. Jowever, if you are sticking to the C pack the Bronco would be a great FPV plane. You could modify it as needed to do what you want. You could also make the wing with a thinner spar if you want it even faster.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think the best pusher sport planes are the FT otter on a C pack, the FT bronco with a pusher setup, the FT viggen, and the FT 22.

kdobson83

Wait, where do you live where it's -20c? Wowsers!!! I'd say the Arrow for sure but you seem stuck on the C pack. Can't you order from banggood? I don't like supporting Chinese knock off artists but you could do it just once to get yourself a quad style motor. Those racerstar motors are super cheap, and actually very reliable and comparable to the name brands.

Plus I realize the arrow doesn't have yaw but it fits all your other criteria.

The legacy would be a good pick too. Twin engine so no funky props in the way, has massive yaw with two motors, mildly acrobatic, and strong landing gear for attaching some skiis for your Arctic tundra weather you have.

Or, last idea, mount your fpv camera on the vertical stabilizer. Fly the tractor plane 3rd person view style. Your prop will still be in your view but will be a much smaller portion of it. Watch the FT Mig video. They fly 3 of em all with tail mounted fpv.

I'm sure you'll be happy what ever direction you chose tho.

evranch

Thanks for the input everyone! I live in Canada, where it gets stupid cold and shipping is slow and expensive.

As you can expect, the problem with banggood, HK and friends is that things take a month to get here, then often get held up in customs for even longer and charged ridiculous fees. A friend of mine is still waiting for his goggles, it's been over a month. So the only good options are to order from resellers inside Canada, from amazon.ca (though some items are terribly priced) or, I could walk into the hobby shop in the city, support a local business, and leave with a power pack fairly equivalent to C for $50.

Also in gusty winds the turbulence can toss a smaller plane up and down several feet, which has resulted in my fair share of crashes on final - so I like to stick to something with a little more authority these days.

@kdobson83 that MiG video is pretty great. The visibility is actually awesome. I think I'm going to have to try that on some tractor planes. Opens up a lot of FPV options.

So at the end of the day... it came down to the Otter vs. the Bronco for the pusher build, and the Otter is the winner because I haven't flown a plane with actual gear in ages, and it looks like fun to fly off the snow. There is a video on youtube showing some guys flying and landing FPV Otters on snow with great success.

kdobson83

Thanks for the input everyone! I live in Canada, where it gets stupid cold and shipping is slow and expensive.

As you can expect, the problem with banggood, HK and friends is that things take a month to get here, then often get held up in customs for even longer and charged ridiculous fees. A friend of mine is still waiting for his goggles, it's been over a month. So the only good options are to order from resellers inside Canada, from amazon.ca (though some items are terribly priced) or, I could walk into the hobby shop in the city, support a local business, and leave with a power pack fairly equivalent to C for $50.

Also in gusty winds the turbulence can toss a smaller plane up and down several feet, which has resulted in my fair share of crashes on final - so I like to stick to something with a little more authority these days.

@kdobson83 that MiG video is pretty great. The visibility is actually awesome. I think I'm going to have to try that on some tractor planes. Opens up a lot of FPV options.

So at the end of the day... it came down to the Otter vs. the Bronco for the pusher build, and the Otter is the winner because I haven't flown a plane with actual gear in ages, and it looks like fun to fly off the snow. There is a video on youtube showing some guys flying and landing FPV Otters on snow with great success.
If you need a tail camera mount, you might be able to talk me into 3d printing you one. Lol I'm not great at cad yet so it would have to be a mount that someone has already made. I have the file for a tail mount for the wolfwoop mini camera/transmitter combo the FT guys use in their videos. Or you could fasion on together with popsicle sticks. Lol But 3d printed is cooler. Anyway, good luck with the Otter. I thought about doing one to try my hand at flying off a pond. But I only have a few local options around me and most are littered with trees in the area...😒

evranch

Cool, the wolfwhoop mini is the one I ordered. Didn't know FT used it as well but it seems popular. If you want to share the file, I have a local guy who does 3d printing and could make some rather than send it through the mail! Definitely cooler than popsicle sticks or just gluing the camera to the tail.

I have 5 acres of water only 200 yards from my house so there's lots of room for water launching, and also fairly flat snow for winter takeoffs and landings. It's a shame it's only a 5' deep slough and no good for swimming or boating, though.

evranch

So after my goggles and cam arrived, I fired them up and did some basic testing (like getting a friend to run around with the camera). This is a totally different experience from real flying or simulator flight on the PC... I'm not sure why, I think the goggles are a lot more immersive.

It looks like I'm going to chicken out on the Otter build and I'm building that lazy looking Explorer for my FPV trainer. Then I'll step it up to something more fun. I don't want to fall in the snow or lose my lunch on my first flight!

Got the wing together and am working on the fuselage. That "sport" wing doesn't look like it can take much abuse stock, so I fiber-taped it together in the middle on both sides, fiber-taped the center spar, repair taped the leading edge and eliminated the dihedral. I'm not planning to fly it like a wild thing, anyways.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
So after my goggles and cam arrived, I fired them up and did some basic testing (like getting a friend to run around with the camera). This is a totally different experience from real flying or simulator flight on the PC... I'm not sure why, I think the goggles are a lot more immersive.

It looks like I'm going to chicken out on the Otter build and I'm building that lazy looking Explorer for my FPV trainer. Then I'll step it up to something more fun. I don't want to fall in the snow or lose my lunch on my first flight!

Got the wing together and am working on the fuselage. That "sport" wing doesn't look like it can take much abuse stock, so I fiber-taped it together in the middle on both sides, fiber-taped the center spar, repair taped the leading edge and eliminated the dihedral. I'm not planning to fly it like a wild thing, anyways.
Once you’re ready to step it up build a super bee, I finished mine last night (haven’t flown it yet) but it has power, a lot of it. I should be able to hit somewhere around the 90-100 mph mark!