Help me choose - Spektrum DX8 v Hitec Aurora 9

Baron Von Viper

I started off with a DX5e, moved to my current DX6i but now that I have 14 planes, I need a tx with more memory slots. The natural choice would be to continue with Spektrum and buy the DX8. I wouldn't then have to swap out spekkie rxs for Hitec rxs. However, a friend of mine has the Hitec A9 and it is an impressive radio. The touchscreen makes programming a doddle and he has never had a glitch with the radio link to his planes, unlike me:mad:.

My PZ Radian flew away on me 18 months ago but luckily I was standing on a hill and I saw where it eventually went down about a mile away. I never got to the bottom of why I suddenly lost radio lock with it as it had passed a range check on the ground. I did however suspect the DX5e I was using as one of my kids had dropped it a week earlier and so I bought the DX6i. Four months later, my PZ Trojan went out of control when in a gentle bank coming in to land and crashed. Again radio lock appeared to be the issue. Since then, I've had no further issues but each time I fly, I have that nagging doubt in the back of my head that my radio might not be entirely trustworthy. Btw, the two planes had separate rxs, a AR500 in the Rad and a AR6200 in the T28, there were no cell phone masts or powerlines in the vicinity and I had clear lines of sight to the planes. So thats why I suspected the radios. And just in case you're thinking "pilot error", they were the only two incidents/crashes I've had in three years of flying:p.

So back to the question, stick with Spektrum and get the DX8 or opt for the Hitec.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
For me it was an easy choice - you already have a lot of Spektrum gear.
The Aurora also has a good selection of inexpensive receivers and i think the telemetry might be a bit smarter - plus the nice display.
There has been som issues with the Aurora but i dont think they are anything more than cosmetic.

I would like the telemetry talk to me instead of beep and vibrate.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Did your lost planes had a separate BEC ?? spektrum is known as a power hungry receiver; 4 HXT900 servos with a OrangeRx and the receiver might shut down/ restart .... spektrum (Dsm2) is also known for it slow reboot.

I would stick with Spektrum but i would invest in a external BEC on the heavier/expensive planes, or if you are going to use more than 4 servos.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..So thats why I suspected the radios. And just in case you're thinking "pilot error", they were the only two incidents/crashes I've had in three years of flying:p.
You must be extremely lucky with only 2 inc in 3 yrs ;-)
What you explain happens now and then with Futabas, Multiplex and other brands to.
There can be a lot more resasons then the radio link for strange things to happen.
Anyway - there is a way to find out if the link was broken by examining the leds on the receiver after landing - but dont ask me how.

Baron Von Viper

My small number of crashes is due to my ATC experience that ensures proper flight discipline and no silly stunts - boring I know:D

While I do agree that a separate bec is a good idea (I've now fitted them to each of my planes), the Rad was just gliding when she flew away so her two servos couldn't possibly have overloaded the esc. The tx antennaes were placed as advised by Spektrum.

I too would love to have an audible telemetry system to advise me of the remaining battery level in the flight pack. I currently use a Quanum telemetry device but that requires looking down to see the voltage readout and its never a good idea to take your eyes off your plane. Spektrum has a poor rep here in Ireland where Futaba rules the roost. I joined a flying club 6 months back and they practically insisted that I ditch my DX6i and get a Futaba. I ignored them but they never miss an opportunity to tell me about how many models they lost due to Spektrum txs.

Buying the DX8 would be the practical choice but I do like the look of the Aurora:confused:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I would probably go with a Futaba 8FG super then. It becomes a 14 channel when you need it to and it's a really good radio expecially for the price. I own a DX8 and love it and I have no reason to switch. However, the benefits of having a radio like your peers are great. Technical support, hands on experience, spare parts (old rx's when people upgrade etc) really come in handy. I believe that Futaba and Spektrum are comparable and I have no reason to switch because most people I fly with run spektrum plus I own several bind n fly planes that futaba doesn't support. I have no experience with Hitec radios but from looking at them briefly they do seem like a very good quality product and I've no reason to doubt that.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Anyway - there is a way to find out if the link was broken by examining the leds on the receiver after landing - but dont ask me how.

I think that is for brownouts, not for signal loss.

Your LED has to be steady (not blink) when you take off. Then when you crash you can see if you had a brownout - the LED will blink.

RC Dad

I am cheap, so I would stick with the Spektrum platform. Two events in 3 years seems pretty reliable to me... But, if you do not trust the radio/platform, it would be worth the switch.

Maybe get the Aurora and one receiver and give it a good workout. If you like it, sell off all the Spektrum stuff to pay for the new receivers. If you don't like it, sell the Aurora and chalk it up to R&D expense.

Do you fly with a club/buddies frequently? I have found it very helpful to use what some others are using as well - in the event you need something some day.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I think there is a big advantage to flying similar radios to what "everybody" else in your club flies.
I fly Spektrum because if I have a problem, everybody else is familiar with the radio and can help.
Also, if I need to borrow or loan a radio- much more chance of being able to find a match.

The Aurora is a fine radio. But I would lean heavily toward flying whatever everybody else in your club flies :)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
My small number of crashes is due to my ATC experience that ensures proper flight discipline and no silly stunts - boring I know:D
Spektrum has a poor rep here in Ireland where Futaba rules the roost. I joined a flying club 6 months back and they practically insisted that I ditch my DX6i and get a Futaba. I ignored them but they never miss an opportunity to tell me about how many models they lost due to Spektrum txs.
I have seen a lot of models in the garbage because of wrong model memory - that is one big reason for me to go Spektrum but as you write - boring-not silly - the Futaba would be the choise as it is your club standard.
I have seen Hitec-clubs, Futaba-clubs, JR-clubs and Multiplex fans. You will always get arguments there that the other systems are not good or reliable.