Help me chose my next plane, Please?

SirCole

Hi! I have 2 planes, A Radian glider, and a Supercub LP. They are some of the greatest things I own. I want to get a new plane. Im happy with my Radian, Its a good glider. And im not really looking for another glider. But I feel I have mastered my Supercub now. And I want to move on. Im just a young teen kid and I dont have too much money. I was looking at the Ultra micro Pole Cat. But I also kind of like planes that are based off real ones since I want to be a pilot someday. Any good recomendations for a low budget and a reasonally beginner pilot?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
This is a good cheap aileron trainer...Since both your current planes are three channel. You need a beater for your first aileron plane, this is it.

Try this, yeah it looks dopey with the wheels but it's cheap, easily repairable cause it's foam ,and fun to fly and modify. Just plug in a cheap brushed ESC and a 1300mah 3s with a 9x5 prop and you'll have a ton of fun.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCL2

$40

gwsa1026.jpg

Rcjim11

Why not get a Multiplex Merlin: Glider... you say you want another. It is the perfect warm liner for some fast flight > 50mph + and if you lighten it out (or not!) you can do some slow (or fast ;) )slope soaring.
If you don't want to spend the money on an MOX model you can get the HK copy, conveniently reviewed by FT!

PaulT

Mentor
I have entered all your parameters into my 8 ball and suggest you do what I'm doing.
(except my son and I are building two this winter)
Scratch build a Parkjet Polaris
Here's a link for the build and almost 1000 pages of threads.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

Cost to get into the air is well within most budgets and it has an extremely large flight envelope (10mph to 70mph)
Takes off from grass, snow or water.

Don't forget to donate to the designer if you use the plans or you can buy a laser cut kit for under $70.00

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
But I also kind of like planes that are based off real ones since I want to be a pilot someday. Any good recomendations for a low budget and a reasonally beginner pilot?
The E-Starter is a good route to scale (that's what they call planes based off real ones) flight. You are starting out right, a good path to scale flight is starting out with a three channel plane like you have, then moving up to a high wing four channel (ailerons), then a low wing four channel. Once you have a low wing plane mastered, you can probably fly whatever you want.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
if you dont need the scale ness, get a BigStick/uglystick -type plane, or if you want speed get a HK ParkJet mkII ona 3s setup :)
if you want scale speed, go for the alfa mpdels mig 15, its a great flying plane!
if you just want scale, go for a sport plane like a CAP 232 or a more aerobatic extra 300
well yeah, those are my recommendations. btw, have you considered a heli?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You guys are forgetting this will be his first plane with ailerons, he doesn't need a swept wing jet or any plane that goes fast, or a sport/3d plane. He needs a high wing plane with a flat bottom wing, after he masters that and gets the crashes out of his system, he can get a low wing semi symmetrical wing plane.

SirCole,

monk02m.jpg

Last edited:

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
the radian doesn't have ailerons? dint know that.. well than put some ailerons on it and enjoy a brand new plane!

EDIT: ok, just found out that i was thinking of the radian pro... but i stand by my word(-ish) install some ailerons, or get a bigstick/uglystick, those are extremely fun for everyone!
if you have someone to teach you than the mig and parkjet are great alternatives too, but if you'r learning by yourself, than get a sim before trying those IRL.

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
+1 on the flying wing. Especially if it's all EPP I have found them to be excellent confidence boosters.
I like having them around especially on windy days. I'm able to fly most of my flying wings on days where I wouldn't dare fly my other planes :)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
+1 on the flying wing. Especially if it's all EPP I have found them to be excellent confidence boosters.
I like having them around especially on windy days. I'm able to fly most of my flying wings on days where I wouldn't dare fly my other planes :)

+1

Agree! They are simple and very allroundish! Easy to fly as well. So what do you want more?

SirCole

have you considered a heli?
Actually I was going to post another forum about that. I own a blade 400, obviously I can't fly it confidently. I know how to fly helicopters ad think they are the most fun to fly. I can fly it well on my simulator and know how to fly upside down and how to do cool tricks. But I don't want to jump right into the blade 400 in real life without using a similar help in real life first. Just so I feel the diffrence between real and simulated.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
I would DEFINATELY recommend the following:

- HobbyKing Bixler
- HK Tuff Trainer
- HK J3

I havent flown any of these but the reviews are quite good

JohnnyArctic

im a micro fan.. and like you (OP) had a supercub LP and then bought myself a dx6i (well worth the investment) and a sukhoi xp UM. loved it... i have no problems flying it, once the rates and expo were set. i crashed it a few times but nothing serious! and its all cheap. 1s lipos, parts etc all low cost. and i love the fact i can fly in small areas as i live in a town centre.

so look for maybe a t28 micro, or a pole cat, im sure you'll love it.

however, if you have lots of space and more cash then there is a larger T28 that is a good low wing aileron trainer

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Which cub lp do you have? If you have the fm three channel then I would recommend something like the bixler. If you have the DSM version of the lp cub with the four channel radio I have a much cheaper alternative. If you think you've mastered your super cub, then it's time to put ailerons on it. For the price of two cheap servos and some tape you can turn your tame supercub lp into an amazingly aerobatic plane. Spend a few bucks on it, learn ailerons, then once you get bored with it go spend your money on another plane. Of course, once you get bored with a supercub with ailerons, go brushless and it's fun all over again.

I have a lot of planes and helicopters and I too got bored of the supercub. Then one day, I decided to add ailerons and it's now the first or second one I fly every time.

A brushless supercub lp, ailerons, flaps and floats= fun every single time out. Even much more experienced 3D pilots like flying it. I even hover it with the floats on.

I have all kinds of pictures if you are interested. Videos too.

The best part is that you can be done with it and back in the air in one evening. I did my wing mod in a couple hours.

But.......like I said, it depends on which version of the cub you have.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have flown the micro T-28 and larger T-28 and they are both fantastic planes. I think that the micro T-28 is the best flying 4channel micro. I've flown about every micro horizon makes and it's just a dream to fly. Excellent flying characteristics. Best 4 channel trainer for micros. Remember the real T-28 was a trainer.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Actually I was going to post another forum about that. I own a blade 400, obviously I can't fly it confidently. I know how to fly helicopters ad think they are the most fun to fly. I can fly it well on my simulator and know how to fly upside down and how to do cool tricks. But I don't want to jump right into the blade 400 in real life without using a similar help in real life first. Just so I feel the diffrence between real and simulated.

I also own a Blade 400. I first got a coax CX3 years ago, then an MSR and the Phoenix flight sim. The flight sim was incredibly helpful. To my surprise, the MSR also helped me out a bunch. The hovering isn't really the same, but I found that forward flight and making turns with my MSR at the local gym, was extremely close to making turns with my Blade 400. The sim was great, but having the confidence I earned flying the small heli was just as helpful when I finally got the nerve to fly the Blade. The new MSRX is probably even closer to the big blade from what I've read.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I have flown the micro T-28 and larger T-28 and they are both fantastic planes. I think that the micro T-28 is the best flying 4channel micro. I've flown about every micro horizon makes and it's just a dream to fly. Excellent flying characteristics. Best 4 channel trainer for micros. Remember the real T-28 was a trainer.
Something must be wrong with my UM T-28, then. Every time I hit the throttle it wants to pitch up, way up, like 45 deg angle. It glides nice and level though.