Help me chose my next plane, Please?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
That is normal!

If you look at the airfoil (if I am right) then the airfoil should be looking some kind of like a flat bottom one with a round top.

That makes the airstream above take longer to reach the read end of the wing and the bottom one reach the end of the wing faster then the other. This will end up in the effect, that the above the wing the wing will be sucked up and below it, it will be pushed up and at it will pitch up a little. It gives you the possibility to lift more as it generates more lift. And were does that lift go if there isn´t any other option for it to go? It will make the plane go up.

Now lets say you got your throttle stick in the middle at a nice cruising speed and you barely give any elevator inputs unless you go into a bank. Then hit the full throttle and the as the air goes much faster around the wingssides it will generate much more lift ending up making the plane pitch up.

Especially glyders use those airfoils to stay in air for long times! Like drop 1m in height over 50m only!

Does that answer your question?

Btw. @ bicyclemoney. Mounting the motor slightly to the right counteracts the torque of the motor. That is normal. Also making the motor look down a little is normal. If you look at the Bixler it will have the motor looking up a bit, because it is a pusher. With all other ones the motors look slightly down giving you the same effect as with the Bixler. It makes the wing cut through air easier and better. --> more efficient (I think)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'm with Jim on this one, the Kinetics is an awesome little model with so many good features. I purchased one for my son to learn to fly on and he has so much fun with it now that I'm jealous. Its small enough to take anywhere, can handle strong winds, Long flight times on a standard 800mah battery. Its just lots of fun.

He actually went from the Kinetics to the Mini-P51 Mustang (which is in no way a beginner model) and really had no dramas flying it.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Btw. @ bicyclemoney. Mounting the motor slightly to the right counteracts the torque of the motor. That is normal. Also making the motor look down a little is normal. If you look at the Bixler it will have the motor looking up a bit, because it is a pusher. With all other ones the motors look slightly down giving you the same effect as with the Bixler. It makes the wing cut through air easier and better. --> more efficient (I think)

Yeah, I know this..I was just indicating that even though the motor has the correct down and right thrust angles it still pitches up.

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Hey there SirCole, I've tried most of the planes talked about so far and also started out with the HZ Super Cub. My recommendation would be:

1. ST Model J3 Cub - 4 channel aileron high wing and very scale. This looks great in the air, flys like a dream, is made of tough foam, is cheap ($140 here in Oz) and lands like a dream with a sprung under carriage. This is still one of my favourites and will often come down to the park with some of my other faster aircraft like the PZ Spitfire, PZ Trojan and e-Flite Sukhoi.
2. The ParkZone Trojan is also a great flyer but it is a fair bit faster than the cub.
3. Get a new transmitter lime the DX6i if you don't already have one.

Hope this helps.

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Quick update Sir Cole, my ST Model Cub has been retired and I'm looking for a replacement. Looks like Hobbyking have an awesome 1400mm size cub for a good price. I'll give that a go and see how it flies.

Cj1Corbystarlet

If the aircraft is a tractor setup(Pulls not a pusher) then the aircraft pitching up indicates 2 things,

1. the thrust line is not angled down enough
2. The surface area of the Horizontal stab is not big enough.

Most model aircraft that have scale sizing can be real dogs to fly, The scale models that fly like its on rails usually have some size modifications to the Fin/Rudder area or the Horizontal Stabilizer/ Elevator Area.

If the aircraft rolls or yaws it can be to things.
1. Thrust offset is not enough or
2. The spinning mass of the propeller is creating a gyroscopic force greater than the flying surfaces can handle.

Ben