Help! Help me grow my local RC community!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hello all!
I have been a member of this incredible family for several years and I have learned a lot and intend to continue to do so. Today I am very grateful to all those members who have helped me to stay in the hobby with their incredible donations, they know that any piece no matter how used it may seem looks like a treasure to me. To all those who responded to this call I made in 2019 , thank you very much to Mike, RockyBoy, Fred, Daniel and others, because not only have I obtained the electronics that have helped me keep going but I have managed to find great friends, and that in my opinion is the greatest accomplishment of the Flite Test Family.

I have managed with these donations to not only progress myself, but to help some friends in the hobby who are trying to get their models on the air. For those who don't know me, I live in Cuba and to make a long story short, there are no hobby or material stores here and we can't buy online either, so we depend on our friends and/or family abroad. Until almost a few months ago there was a law that prevented the importation of almost everything related to aircraft and RC for fear of Drones, and therefore send a package was extremely complicated. Some of my friends who helped me from here had to receive their package back from Cuba because the customs office did not allow it :cry::cry::cry::cry:.

But the good news is that this law was abolished a few months ago and i can now import almost everything related to RC airplanes, even complete kits.
With this in mind, and thinking of all those friends who approach me daily looking for a way to start or stay in the hobby, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to contribute something that you feel you will no longer use and can donate. Keep in mind that even if you don't think it has value to us, it does. Just to give you an idea, my friends fly with 4 channel 72MHz Futaba radios and are lucky to have them, a 2.4GHz radio is a fantasy. My idea would be to collect all the donations in Florida at my father's house (16505 sw 104 ct, 33157, Miami, Florida), his full name is Rodolfo Díaz and then find a safe way to get them to Cuba.

What do you guys think, help me grow my local RC community???

Thank you so much for your time reading this!

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Maybe try to find a way to get kids in the hobby. Then the parents will get involved and there you go.
Oh, I may have expressed myself badly, my English is not that good. Kids are already interested in participating, as are many young and old people who approach us eager to get started, but the smile on their faces fades when we explain that the means to do so cannot be bought or obtained in Cuba, and not everyone has friends or family abroad or money to pay the cost. Just to give you an idea, the average monthly salary in Cuba is only 50 dollars.
That is why I am calling for this donation.

Bo123

Elite member
Oh, I may have expressed myself badly, my English is not that good. Kids are already interested in participating, as are many young and old people who approach us eager to get started, but the smile on their faces fades when we explain that the means to do so cannot be bought or obtained in Cuba, and not everyone has friends or family abroad or money to pay the cost. Just to give you an idea, the average monthly salary in Cuba is only 50 dollars.
That is why I am calling for this donation.
Ah ok. I would donate, but I live in australia, and its just as difficult to source parts and foam and plane and stuff.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
@cdfigueredo I don't know if you can. But I would suggest starting a crowd funding campaign for this.
Maybe on gofundme
Or kickstarter.
That would be a great way to do it. That way people who aren't in the hobby can also help out.

Regards Matthew
That is a very good idea, I had already thought about it, but these platforms have limitations with respect to Cuba due to the economic burden and penalize all kinds of actions of this type for my country. That's why I do it here. :rolleyes:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
That is a very good idea, I had already thought about it, but these platforms have limitations with respect to Cuba due to the economic burden and penalize all kinds of actions of this type for my country. That's why I do it here. :rolleyes:
Ask someone in the us to set it up lol. I have the exact problem

danskis

Master member
Felicitasiones Carlos!!!! I have three transmitters I can send you. post the address in the first post so everyone knows where to send stuff.

All, if you can I strongly suggest you support this project. If you know anyone that's been in the hobby a while, ask them if they have anything they can donate. Nothing is too small or too old.

I'm sending Carlos an old Orange transmitter, a Fly sky transmitter and an old FrSky ACSST transmitter. If you've got a receiver for one of those transmitters please consider donating. I got all of these from folks in my club that had them lying around.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Felicitasiones Carlos!!!! I have three transmitters I can send you. post the address in the first post so everyone knows where to send stuff.

All, if you can I strongly suggest you support this project. If you know anyone that's been in the hobby a while, ask them if they have anything they can donate. Nothing is too small or too old.

I'm sending Carlos an old Orange transmitter, a Fly sky transmitter and an old FrSky ACSST transmitter. If you've got a receiver for one of those transmitters please consider donating. I got all of these from folks in my club that had them lying around.

Muchisimas gracias Dan!!!
You are a very good friend and you have been very helpful on other occasions, I will always be very grateful. Very glad to hear you have those transmitters to donate, I'm sure if we can get the word out, we'll be able to collect some other valuable pieces no matter how used they are.

I will update the first post to publish the shipping address. I'll leave it here anyway 16505 sw 104 ct, 33157, Miami, Florida

FishbonesAir

I have some old but working servos that I was gifted. Guy said that the wiring was reverse to normal or something 🤔

So they'd need to figure that out, and I have to find them. We moved and are still living from boxes.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
@22Cowboy That's just what we need

@cdfigueredo - I haven't forgotten you. A guy gave me some FrSky receivers and trying to figure out if they are compatible with the transmitter I have. Also waiting on another transmitter.
I know my friend, i am not i a hurry, i understand this takes time. Hope u can make the recivers bind with the Tx. and that new TX is a very exiting news!!!

danskis

Master member
Carlos - wow, the Dauntless looks great! Unfortunately the old Turnigy transmitter isn't going to work - but another club member is going to donate a newer Spectrum which is even better as it will use modern receivers. I can also get an older but working 72mhz. transmitter - but I need to find some receivers for it. There is still one club member using one and he might have some spare receivers. I'll also send a couple of speed controllers, props, and a battery or two. I"ve already gathered the following. dronemotors.jpg motors.jpg reciever.jpg servos.jpg spectrum.jpg tarranis.jpg

danskis

Master member
Just a thought - I could send you the Turnigy for parts such as switches or gimbals if you think you could use something like that.

Also, if anyone out there can spare a receiver for that FlySky posted above that would be great as I only have one extra one to send.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Carlos - wow, the Dauntless looks great! Unfortunately the old Turnigy transmitter isn't going to work - but another club member is going to donate a newer Spectrum which is even better as it will use modern receivers. I can also get an older but working 72mhz. transmitter - but I need to find some receivers for it. There is still one club member using one and he might have some spare receivers. I'll also send a couple of speed controllers, props, and a battery or two. I"ve already gathered the following. View attachment 230426 View attachment 230427 View attachment 230428 View attachment 230429 View attachment 230430 View attachment 230431

Those are really good news Dan!!! Please share my gratitud to all your club mates in the name of mine and thank you all in advace for your donations! everything u had gather there will really make the difference for us!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Just a thought - I could send you the Turnigy for parts such as switches or gimbals if you think you could use something like that.

Also, if anyone out there can spare a receiver for that FlySky posted above that would be great as I only have one extra one to send.
Just send the Turnigy Tx as it is, i bet someone here can try to fix it or using it as replacements!

danskis

Master member
@cdfigueredo Carlos - we have a club member that is older and switching to store bought planes so he's donating some stuff. Maybe another transmitter too. It looks like most of it is new!!
esc7.jpg motors.jpg