Solved Help me troubleshoot please.

So I built a "trainer" that has a 26'' wingspan that is powered by a 1300kv motor on a 3cell with a 7x5 prop. I threw it into the air and it pitched up hard so I added a bit of nose weight but now it glides for a few feet and then crashes itself into the ground.

Also my prop mount thingy is loose so I had to hot glue it on. How can I fix a loose prop mount?

Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:
Photo on 8-1-20 at 10.47 AM #2.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
the prop mount if are not the bolted to cap one, the style as on the picture here, does hold on the motoraxle by clamping to it, when prop screws on. Either you then got a prop holder with wrong size, or not screwed the prop & propholder enough on. hot glue will never hold.

If thats loose. you also loose motor thrust/effect.

Attachments

• bullet_connect.png
    bullet_connect.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
the prop mount if are not the bolted to cap one, the style as on the picture here, does hold on the motoraxle by clamping to it, when prop screws on. Either you then got a prop holder with wrong size, or not screwed the prop & propholder enough on. hot glue will never hold.

Uhh sorry I am dumb can you explain in simplier words?

leaded50

Legendary member
Uhh sorry I am dumb can you explain in simplier words?
give us a picture of how youre prop holder are fastned to motor. is it a thing as you stick on the motoraxle, or not.
Does it seems similar a bit to the type of my picture?

One type are as that one the picture. An other is screwed direct to the topcap with 3-4 screws.

give us a picture of how youre prop holder are fastned to motor. is it a thing as you stick on the motoraxle, or not.
Does it seems similar a bit to the type of my picture?

One type are as that one the picture. An other is screwed direct to the topcap with 3-4 screws.

My prop holder actually broke after I crashed lol. But yes it is the thing in the picture. I just push it on the motoraxle put the prop on it and then screw on the tap cap thing, no need for screws and stuff.

leaded50

Legendary member
My prop holder actually broke after I crashed lol. But yes it is the thing in the picture. I just push it on the motoraxle put the prop on it and then screw on the tap cap thing, no need for screws and stuff.

ok, that things clamps to the motoraxle only by pressure from when its pressed together when propnut is screwed on. To little moment, it slips, to small motoraxle, then how much it could clamp together, it slips. They are sold for diferent sizes of motoraxle diameter.

When you see on the picture you see its "4-slits" with hole in the middle. When nut is screwed on, the 4 slits get smaller, and smaller (then also the hole in middle will be smaller) When the slits are totally jammed together, its reached its minimum holesize. If that is bigger than your motoraxle.... well it slips.

Last edited:
ok, that things clamps to the motoraxle only by pressure from when its pressed together when propnut is screwed on. To little moment, it slips, to small motoraxle, then how much it could clamp together, it slips. They are sold for diferent sizes of motoraxle diameter.

When you see on the picture you see its "4-slits" with hole in the middle. When nut is screwed on, the 4 slits get smaller, and smaller (then also the hole in middle will be smaller) When the slits are totally jammed together, its reached its minimum holesize. If that is bigger than your motoraxle.... well it slips.
Ohhhhh I tried doing that with pliers XD

Timmy

Legendary member
it glides for a few feet and then crashes itself into the ground.
Depends how fast you are going, the weight of your plane and what kind of wing you have. If you provide that info I can help you. If you know where your center of gravity is suppsed to be, you can put your fingers there and see if the plane tilts down or up or if it stays level. If it tilts way down, its nose heavy. More pics/videos could help too

leaded50

Legendary member
That's ok thank you for your help! Do you think it may be too nose heavy though?
if it seemed glide nice, when you added weight..you should be close too right CG. Normally you shouldnt need weight, just movement of the battery... plane looks possible to glide quite good with its fatty wing.

Timmy

Legendary member
if it seemed glide nice, when you added weight..you should be close too right CG. Normally you shouldnt need weight, just movement of the battery... plane looks possible to glide quite good with its fatty wing.
Agreed

leaded50

Legendary member
@GreaterAviation , one tip here though.... if been me, i would had maked the horizontal tail surfaces wider. In RC planes its some recommendations.. (cant find at moment though...) On your picture it seems be at least smaller than 1/3 of main wing... i would tryed approx 40% span of the main wing... it would help a lot on both gliding, and reactions on control surface movements..

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
@GreaterAviation , one tip here though.... if been me, i would had maked the horizontal tail surfaces wider. In RC planes its some recommendations.. (cant find at moment though...) On your picture it seems be at least smaller than 1/3 of main wing... i would tryed approx 40% span of the main wing... it would help a lot on both gliding, and reactions on control surface movements..

your probably looking for one of these (yes I have them bookmarked):
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/easy-aircraft-design
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/determining-control-surface-area.62991/#post-565944