Help! My motor has a hard time getting started and then binds up a little over 50% throttle.

chubbyhubby1222

I got some motors for a quad build I'm doing but one of the motors burned up so I decided to re-purpose the others into planes. But they have this weird problem with not spinning. With everything connected I have to feather the throttle to get the motor spinning and then it jams up after half throttle and stops spinning and starts twitching. I'm including a video so if anyone else recognizes this and has a solution, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm using an 1804 2400kv motor with an 1800mAh battery, and a 20 amp esc. I've already tried calibrating the esc. The next thing I'll try is resoldering all the connectors.

messyhead

I've had this with the last motor. I couldn't even get it to spin, it just stuttered. I calibrated the esc, but no luck.

I replaced the esc, but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the motor and it all works now.

I just put it down to a bad motor, as I hadn't actually flown this one.

However, the last time I disconnected it, one of the connectors broke, so I'm going to try resoldering them and see if it fixes it.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
I've had this with the last motor. I couldn't even get it to spin, it just stuttered. I calibrated the esc, but no luck.

I replaced the esc, but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the motor and it all works now.

I just put it down to a bad motor, as I hadn't actually flown this one.

However, the last time I disconnected it, one of the connectors broke, so I'm going to try resoldering them and see if it fixes it.
Usually one broken wire of the 3 causes this kind of stutter problem. You can check if the wires are fine by testing the conductivity between two motor wires

Reactions: FDS

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You could have a problem with the motor OR the esc. You will need to do some trials to see which is at fault. If you can prove one motor & one esc is good, use the good one to test the others.

I have had some motors make a grinding noise or seize up completely. Upon inspection there was a piece of metal or grit, the motor needed to be taken apart and cleaned with an old tooth brush.

@messyhead is correct, a broken lead or wire between the motor & esc can cause a motor to stutter. It's a good idea to give all of the leads a gentle pull test to see if one is about to come free.

Reactions: FDS

chubbyhubby1222

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I finally got it fixed. It was a simple re solder on all the connections and now the motor is working great. Thanks for helping a new guy figure out this hobby.

messyhead

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I finally got it fixed. It was a simple re solder on all the connections and now the motor is working great. Thanks for helping a new guy figure out this hobby.

That's good to know. I might try re-soldering my one and see if it fixes it too.