HELP!!! My Storch is not lost...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, I know where it is, but unfortunately, I can not reach it...

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

As you can see, the Storch is towards the top of the tree, how it got there? Well, I looked down at my Tx for one second and smash!!!! Went right into the tree...

I tried climbing the tree, but could only get this close...I was about 50 feet up there when climbing too.

IMG_2207.JPG

I am about 20+ feet short of reaching it, so now my only hope is a wind storm or something that may knock it lower so I can reach it. I would like to salvage my Rx at least. My FAA number is in there along with my name, but no phone #...should have done that...next time...

I figure about $140.00 worth of gear, along with my $20.00 keyfob camera.

At least I know where it is and it is not too far from home to go check on once and while. My $9.00 LiPo is probably going to be toast...

Why are there so many trees in Washington State????

I was in the process of replacing the original though, so no worries, I will fly again soon...

IMG_2205.JPG

Last edited:

PilotSam

Judge me by my age?
If you are willing to spend a little money than I would suggest getting some long pvc pipe and connectors to connect them together. Than try to poke it out of the tree. It might cost 5-10 bucks but it just might end up saving that $140. Good luck my friend!

Yorick

I'm in Washington State too and the trees around here contain a mystical foam attracting substance that reaches out and grabs planes ALL THE TIME!

To get mine out I took a tennis ball and cut two parallel slices about an inch long and 3/4 of an inch apart. I put in several small stones through the hole, maybe a third to half full. I then tie some nylon twine to it, I overkilled it and have about 400ft of twine. Then you sling the ball up in the tree David and Goliath style trying to loop over the branch that your plane is on. The weight of the ball with the thin slippery nylon twine will come back down through the tree where you can grab it making a loop with the two ends. Then just shake the snot out of the tree until it releases your stuff! It can be difficult to get the correct limb but even one close can move the tree enough to bounce your plane out. I used this method to recover my bloody wonder, it took about 45 minutes of concerted effort and the ability to ignore the strange looks from passers by at the park but I did eventually prevail. Hope this helps.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Recovery

I'm in Washington State too and the trees around here contain a mystical foam attracting substance that reaches out and grabs planes ALL THE TIME!

To get mine out I took a tennis ball and cut two parallel slices about an inch long and 3/4 of an inch apart. I put in several small stones through the hole, maybe a third to half full. I then tie some nylon twine to it, I overkilled it and have about 400ft of twine. Then you sling the ball up in the tree David and Goliath style trying to loop over the branch that your plane is on. The weight of the ball with the thin slippery nylon twine will come back down through the tree where you can grab it making a loop with the two ends. Then just shake the snot out of the tree until it releases your stuff! It can be difficult to get the correct limb but even one close can move the tree enough to bounce your plane out. I used this method to recover my bloody wonder, it took about 45 minutes of concerted effort and the ability to ignore the strange looks from passers by at the park but I did eventually prevail. Hope this helps.

That's how my co-worker described how to do it. He flys in the same area. But, it is way up there, maybe 100 feet. Not sure I can sling that high. Its in the tree where the marker is on the pic of the map below, directly across from the school. If anyone wants to give it a try, a half case of bear could be the reward or something else if you don't drink. Its not worth enough to pay too much of a reward...Just google Clark lake park in Kent Wa to get directions.

IMG_1369.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
CANCLE RED ALERT, CALL OFF THE SEARCH!!

If you are willing to spend a little money than I would suggest getting some long pvc pipe and connectors to connect them together. Than try to poke it out of the tree. It might cost 5-10 bucks but it just might end up saving that $140. Good luck my friend!

I took Pilot Sam's advice and spent $5 on some 3/4 pvc electrical conduit (it has couplers built into the 10 foot sections) and got two 10 foot sections. Then I returned today, climbed the tree as far up as I could go (about 50 feet) then reached up as high as I could with the 20 foot pvc section and managed to knock down the pieces. It is a little beat up, but I think I can get her flying again...

Thanks Pilot Sam!!!!

My Turnigy 2200 3s battery voltage is at 5volts and the charger wont charge it as it says it has a voltage error. Too low of voltage. So, the $9 battery is probably toast.

I will get a video together and post it here of the on board video crash footage...

IMG_2210.JPG

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
5v total?? Yikes, those cells are DEAD. You've basically got a lithium brick sitting around. Snip the wires & connectors, but other than that… Well, yeah. Brick.
Glad to see you got the plane down alright. Any luck with the key fob cam? I had an 808 once, it almost always threw the SD card or corrupted something… If the files are intact it will make a great story :p

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The 808 keyfob survived like a champ and got some great footage! I will work on it tomorrow.

PilotSam

Judge me by my age?
I'm happy to help! Ok this is an amazing coincidence: I am actually subscribed to you! Even before this thread I was subscribed to you! Awesome channel by the way!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Made repairs and she's airborne again! But, I found it needed more repairs and wing reinforcement, it's beginning to look like Frankenstein...