Help needed to setup kk2 with skywalker quatro 4x20 esc and turnigy 9x

kenbocbr

Hi All, Im a complete novice, hope someone can help, I'm at my wits end.... I have a Turnigy 9x that I don't know how to setup, I cant get the KK2 and the skywalker 4x20 esc to setup either. I need an Idiot guide to help me set these up, I'm so frustrated
Regards
Kenny

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hi All, Im a complete novice, hope someone can help, I'm at my wits end.... I have a Turnigy 9x that I don't know how to setup, I cant get the KK2 and the skywalker 4x20 esc to setup either. I need an Idiot guide to help me set these up, I'm so frustrated
Regards
Kenny

Hey Kenny, Welcome to the forum.

First off, I'd recomend stepping through the videos in:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4681-The-quot-Help-keep-Patrick-from-crashing-his-multi-quot-Thread

If nothing else, they'll give a good overview of the basic setup process for a quad. most of this will apply for other multi's (V-tail, tri, hex) other than a few setting and wiring differneces.

In your case, with the Quatro, the setup should be nearly identical except wring the ESC -- the plug with both power and ground will go into M1 on the board (S3, according to the ESC manual) and then the other three in the appropreate M2-4 slot. BTW, all of the single wire plugs and the signal on the 3-wire plug go on the inside edge of the connectors.

I've got a Q-brian (a rebrand of the same 4x20 esc), but I wanted to keep the port numberings consistant to reduce my confusion. To do it, I pulled the signal line (white) from the S3 plug, and swapped it for the red wire in the S1 plug (so now that plug had brown-red-red, with the red on the end comming from the other wire set). The 3-wire plug now connects to S1, so it plugs into M1 on the kk2. Then orange, white, brown -- in that order -- of the single wires go into M2-4 on the kk2. After that M1 motor wires on the ESC lines up with M1 on the KK2 board, and so on. swapping the connector pins is entirely optional, but makes life much simpler in layout

As for your radio, I don't own a 9x, but once you've get to the receiver test in th evideos, the only thing you need to set up on the radio are the subtrims and servo travel durring the receiver tests. Everything else can fly beautifully on a stock radio setup -- the rest of the setup in on the kk2, telling it how to interperate those signals from the radio. The steps on the video will lay out *what* you need to do, but the *how* is beyond my experience with that radio. If you're having trouble finding the settings and getting the receiver test to work, don't hesitate to ask specifics.

Last edited:

kenbocbr

Thanks for that crafty dan looks good, one more question do I have to program the Q Brain before I fit it to the copter?

Hey Kenny, Welcome to the forum.

First off, I'd recomend stepping through the videos in:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4681-The-quot-Help-keep-Patrick-from-crashing-his-multi-quot-Thread

If nothing else, they'll give a good overview of the basic setup process for a quad. most of this will apply for other multi's (V-tail, tri, hex) other than a few setting and wiring differneces.

In your case, with the Quatro, the setup should be nearly identical except wring the ESC -- the plug with both power and ground will go into M1 on the board (S3, according to the ESC manual) and then the other three in the appropreate M2-4 slot. BTW, all of the single wire plugs and the signal on the 3-wire plug go on the inside edge of the connectors.

I've got a Q-brian (a rebrand of the same 4x20 esc), but I wanted to keep the port numberings consistant to reduce my confusion. To do it, I pulled the signal line (white) from the S3 plug, and swapped it for the red wire in the S1 plug (so now that plug had brown-red-red, with the red on the end comming from the other wire set). The 3-wire plug now connects to S1, so it plugs into M1 on the kk2. Then orange, white, brown -- in that order -- of the single wires go into M2-4 on the kk2. After that M1 motor wires on the ESC lines up with M1 on the KK2 board, and so on. swapping the connector pins is entirely optional, but makes life much simpler in layout

As for your radio, I don't own a 9x, but once you've get to the receiver test in th evideos, the only thing you need to set up on the radio are the subtrims and servo travel durring the receiver tests. Everything else can fly beautifully on a stock radio setup -- the rest of the setup in on the kk2, telling it how to interperate those signals from the radio. The steps on the video will lay out *what* you need to do, but the *how* is beyond my experience with that radio. If you're having trouble finding the settings and getting the receiver test to work, don't hesitate to ask specifics.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fortunatly, no. It's allready set up for a typical multi-rotor's settigns (NICAD voltage cutoffs, with soft LVC and fast startups).

It might fair well being reflashed to BLHELI roms (won't support simonK -- wrong chipset), but should work well as it. From looking at the quatro manual, if HK didn't get it punched out of the same factory, they ripped off the manual too -- your settigns should be fine as-is.

BTW, Two optional steps in those videos I highly reccomend:

*do* reflash the KK2 -- 1.6 is *much* better than 1.2. It will work as is, but the longer you wait, more time you're spending with an inferior rom.

*do* connect up the voltage monitor. You can solder on a single jumper wire with a pin to the vref on the board and connect that to the highest voltage pin on your ballance plug(farthest from the black wire). Once you set the target voltage, the beeper will go off when the battery is getting low -- that's good -- your ESC's LVC is *not* going to protect you from overdrawing your battery to puffy oblivion. check out the video linked in the video to which pin to solder to (you don't really need the ground wire).