Help needed with parts for FT Versa Wing

razether00f

Hey guys, I am extremely new to the hobby, and looking to build my first rc plane next month!

I am currently looking at building the FT Versa wing, and making it the "pusher style".

I am really looking for help out rigging this plane with a powerful, yet manageable motor and power system.

I would like to optimize for as long run time as possible.

I am looking at getting a powerful motor with an 8x6 prop, roughly 3000 mah battery (I guess 3c?), a 25a-40a speed controller.

My final thing I'm confused about is the radio controller, and receiver on the plane. Does the speed controller do the receiving? What is a good 3-4 channel radio controller? does the speed controller power the rc receiver??

So, can someone please help recommend a powerful complete electronics list with motor, servos, prop, radio reciever, radio controller,speed controller, battery, etc. ????

Help please!!!

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
Hey guys, I am extremely new to the hobby, and looking to build my first rc plane next month!

I am currently looking at building the FT Versa wing, and making it the "pusher style".

I am really looking for help out rigging this plane with a powerful, yet manageable motor and power system.

I would like to optimize for as long run time as possible.

I am looking at getting a powerful motor with an 8x6 prop, roughly 3000 mah battery (I guess 3c?), a 25a-40a speed controller.

My final thing I'm confused about is the radio controller, and receiver on the plane. Does the speed controller do the receiving? What is a good 3-4 channel radio controller? does the speed controller power the rc receiver??

So, can someone please help recommend a powerful complete electronics list with motor, servos, prop, radio reciever, radio controller,speed controller, battery, etc. ????

Help please!!!

hello,
welcome to FT from fellow members.
so you're very excited to get into this, that's good.
on FT Versa, if you're wondering what would be the recommended electronics, there's one already listed under the FT Versa at (search it)

https://store.flitetest.com

ESC/speed controller does the receiving - yes it receives signals (through wires) from the radio receiver which receives signals (through radio transmission) from your radio controller/transmitter.
Hope this make sense to you, for more info you may want to browse FT clips dedicated to beginners.

http://flitetest.com/beginner-series

depending on how far or serious you want to go with the hobby, i'd say a 3-4ch radio is a diminishing minimum.
it does the job for basics (that you will outgrow quickly) but a 6ch may last your interest longer as it provides more capabilities and options; at a fraction of a cost.

optimizing flight time is not as simple as the idea sounds, typically you may want to aim for,
lesser weight, more energy to propel and higher efficiency of everything on board.
naturally basic principles of flight apply too.
for example, a powerful motor though it may provide higher speed of travel, in general will draw more current and drain the battery faster and cuts down flight time.
even the way one manage the throttle may affect and yet there are many more other factors determining the flight time.

my suggestion is to take your time do your research, flew your first and build your improvement on it.

just my 2cts.

EricRice

Noobalicious
eSambg1.jpg

razether00f

@JohnMW

Thanks! That helps! I will continue to do research! Thanks for the tip on the 6 channel radio!

@EricRice

what would be a better starting option in your optinion?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
The FT Flyer is my favorite, it is very easy to fly and can do high-alpha when your flying skills are better.

Winglet

I love the Versa Wing. I've built 4 of them in various configurations. Great flyer! With that said.....Don't build one for your first airplane. Not a trainer at all. It would make a good 3rd airplane. Go with the FT Flyer.

Skeptic

I agree!

I love my versa but..... relearning to fly after a long time away from the hobby should have been done with something other than a "wing." fitting components balancing tossing the plane were a challenge not a impossible hurdle but a daunting obstical.
I am building 3 other options now to get away from my wing. I love it but keeping it around just for the "long flight times" was not worth it for me.
I am building the FT-22 FT-3D and still in the box till my building skills are better and building area is bigger I have the Storch. I suggest building something with a rudder and lots of lattitude for holding gear like different size batteries (The storch).
My versa because it needs huge amounts of nose weight needed 4000mah 3 cells. (which don't fit well.) I won't be flying those batteries in anything other than the storch. My mistakes were expensive in the fact I could not use what I had purchased.
In summary and ending disjointed rambling .... fly something simple with a rudder using common parts (swappable) and keep it cheap for crashes. Then move to the wings!

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Go for it and build the versa! Airframe only, no electronics. This will be your motivation to help you master the ft flyer, then buddy box untill your instructer says your good on the versa.

Justin