Help Needed :(

Hello. New to this forum. My FS-IA6b receiver is not turning on when I plug in the esc. No binding light. I am using a battery that I haven't charged, is it possible that is the reason why no light is coming on. Rather scared to charge it as I have heard the horror stories of lipos exploding, and I dont have a lipo case.

Fidget

Does the ESC you're using definitely have a BEC (battery elimination circuit)? If so, it should say on it, something like "3A BEC" or similar. That's what drops your battery voltage to 5V for the receiver. Many of the ESCs designed for multi-rotors do not.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I have always had charged batteries and a BEC speed control so I don't know for a fact, however, I have heard that if the rx is not getting enough voltage they won't engage. I do know that it's easy to plug the esc in the wrong way.

Bricks

Master member
if you do not have a Lipo checker you can use a voltmeter to at least get the voltage of the battery. Most chargers will not charge a battery if voltage is to low as a safety factor. Lipo batteries do not explode they can catch fire, I have only ever had one Lipo fire and that was during a crash where the battery slid forward into the motor mount and the motor mounting screw poked a hole in it. They fizzle and produce a lot of smelly smoke and heat, if nothing is close by it just goes out once the battery is done. This one was a 3S 2200 and it did it`s thing for about 1 minute and was done.

The only way it could or might explode is having it in a container that is sealed tight then it would build pressure inside the container and if the container is not strong enough then you have just caused your own issue.

If you are worried about hooking up your charger to it take it outside put it on some concrete and fire up the charger it will either charge or not.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Bricks, lipos don’t explode, they will produce a lot of gas. If you try to contain the gas, you could cause an explosion, from the pressure. My self and many others, use ammo cans, lined with drywall, just be sure remove the seal. Lipos will rupture and burn. The fire is very vigorous and needs to be smothered, think sand not water. I use plastic bag filled with sand on top of my ammo can. If the battery catches fire, the plastic “should” melt, releasing the sand to smother or at least contain the fire.

You must use a charger specifically made to change lipos.

Any 5v source can be used to power the Rx. I use a 5v wall charger for bench testing.

Thanks for that guys. That's the issue. Luckily I have one with me. 5v too, just what I need. Problem is... (pic related). The Ubec (red adapter) doesn't fit with the esc black adapter.

https://banggood.app.link/xY60xCFwn2 - Bec
https://banggood.app.link/nUtyN4Lwn2 - esc

15762182309092795647882627074172.jpg

Any ideas. Is it possible to solder them directly together, bypassing the adapters?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

K3V0

Elite member
I was just binding a flysky rx today and had similar problems. I was trying to use a 800ma 2c and it wouldn’t bind. I used a voltage alarm to check the battery and it turns out I had zero’d one of the cells and the electronics didn’t like it. I used a different 2c and the bound the rx no problem. My battery knowledge is pretty thin so I’m also paying attention to what others are saying here too.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'd like a better picture of what all you've got. The esc will plug into the receiver with a three wire plug, just like the black one that you pictured. When running a separate bec, the red wire is disconnected from the esc plug, but the bec still has the same style plug, only it's two wires.

The reason I asked for a better picture is because that looks like the battery leads on an esc. Whole different ballgame.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'd like a better picture of what all you've got. The esc will plug into the receiver with a three wire plug, just like the black one that you pictured. When running a separate bec, the red wire is disconnected from the esc plug, but the bec still has the same style plug, only it's two wires.

The reason I asked for a better picture is because that looks like the battery leads on an esc. Whole different ballgame.
Looking at it now that you pointed it out you are right sir, those are the battery leads, and does say UBEC on the top, also says FPV too, what's that all about?