Help! Help on choosing a battery

prendon66

Hello, I am a high school student competing in the ULA student launch competition. My group and I are looking for help on choosing a battery for our drone. The battery needs to be light because the drone can not be heavier than 5 pounds (2.27 kg), it needs to power 4 motors, since were making a quadcopter, and since the drone needs to fit into a 6 inch diameter tube, causing the drone to be small, the battery should be small too.

Thank you for reading this and any help would be appreciated.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I don't think weight will be an issue having a 5lb limit and it has to fit into a 6" tube, also when you say fit into a 6" tube is that with the props extended or spinning? I have never weighed my Blade 350 QX3 and it is considerably larger then 6" but even with a 3000mah 3S battery if it is over 2.5lbs I would be surprised.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hello, I am a high school student competing in the ULA student launch competition. My group and I are looking for help on choosing a battery for our drone. The battery needs to be light because the drone can not be heavier than 5 pounds (2.27 kg), it needs to power 4 motors, since were making a quadcopter, and since the drone needs to fit into a 6 inch diameter tube, causing the drone to be small, the battery should be small too.

Thank you for reading this and any help would be appreciated.
Size and weight are only 2 of the minor defining specs of a battery.

To specify a battery I would need to know the voltage or cell count required, the current drain of the Drone at max power drain, and the required minimum flight time! If you supply great tech specs on the power requirements of the drone, a matching battery or range of batteries could be provided!

Without proper info you will not get meaningful responses!

have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A 2200mah 3S battery is very common in the RC world, it is about 4.5"x 1"x 3/4" in size & weighs in about 6oz. As @Hai-Lee mentioned we have no way if knowing if this battery will meet your other requirements. Most of our quads will weigh about 1 pound, some will be 2 pounds, 5 pounds is very large.

So what are you trying to do, go fast, lift a lot, take pictures or something else?

Wildthing

Legendary member
My Blade 350 QX3 doesn't weigh anywhere close to 5lbs even with a 3000mah 3S battery and with your has to fit into a 6" tube means your props are going to be under 3" so very tiny compared to mine. Battery will be the easy part, you have to figure out your whole power setup first including the FC and what voltage you are going to run.