• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help on twin motor setups

Basicly, what is the best way to change a single motored plane into a twin motored plane?

1- what motors to use? Say I have a 2000kv motor running an 8X4 prop. Do I half it all and run 2 x 1000kv motors with 4x4 props? What is the best way to work it out and do I require a similar thrust for each motor or combined thrust?

2- ESC wireup. Can I connect 2 motors to 1 ESC, eg: original motor pulls 20A max, can I use 2 10A motors on a single 20A ESC. or do I need 2 ESC's and how do you connect 2 esc's to the same channel? Can you use a standard splitter with 1 battery and a battery splitter or do i need 2 batteries, 1 for each ESC?

3- Battery choice. would like to use the original battery type, but would i have to up the mha and or discharge rate and or the cells (eg 2s battery to a 3s)

Any help would be appreciated.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Basicly, what is the best way to change a single motored plane into a twin motored plane?

1- what motors to use? Say I have a 2000kv motor running an 8X4 prop. Do I half it all and run 2 x 1000kv motors with 4x4 props? What is the best way to work it out and do I require a similar thrust for each motor or combined thrust?

2- ESC wireup. Can I connect 2 motors to 1 ESC, eg: original motor pulls 20A max, can I use 2 10A motors on a single 20A ESC. or do I need 2 ESC's and how do you connect 2 esc's to the same channel? Can you use a standard splitter with 1 battery and a battery splitter or do i need 2 batteries, 1 for each ESC?

3- Battery choice. would like to use the original battery type, but would i have to up the mha and or discharge rate and or the cells (eg 2s battery to a 3s)

Any help would be appreciated.
1 - You can use same motors or slightly smaller. Try to keep something wit same propeller size for the good looks - unless it is i "jet style" where you want as small props as possible.
2 - use 2 identical setups with motors and controllers - unless you are building the motors in line where you can have differens size of motors.
You can used the same batteries (if you have margin regarding the C-rating). The extra weight will give you slightly shorter flight time. If the model is relatively large you will not see a big difference as the motors are less of the total weight. A battery with more mAh and C could be necessary - but that is only possible to decide if you give all data of the existing plane and setup.

Thanks for the help.
Trying to do something different, converting a foamie ME-109 into a twin engine bomber.
Have yet to do any testing as wasn't sure on any of the electrical hook ups.
Thanks for the help