Help on twin motor setups

asitterlee

Basicly, what is the best way to change a single motored plane into a twin motored plane?

1- what motors to use? Say I have a 2000kv motor running an 8X4 prop. Do I half it all and run 2 x 1000kv motors with 4x4 props? What is the best way to work it out and do I require a similar thrust for each motor or combined thrust?

2- ESC wireup. Can I connect 2 motors to 1 ESC, eg: original motor pulls 20A max, can I use 2 10A motors on a single 20A ESC. or do I need 2 ESC's and how do you connect 2 esc's to the same channel? Can you use a standard splitter with 1 battery and a battery splitter or do i need 2 batteries, 1 for each ESC?

3- Battery choice. would like to use the original battery type, but would i have to up the mha and or discharge rate and or the cells (eg 2s battery to a 3s)

Any help would be appreciated.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Basicly, what is the best way to change a single motored plane into a twin motored plane?

1- what motors to use? Say I have a 2000kv motor running an 8X4 prop. Do I half it all and run 2 x 1000kv motors with 4x4 props? What is the best way to work it out and do I require a similar thrust for each motor or combined thrust?

2- ESC wireup. Can I connect 2 motors to 1 ESC, eg: original motor pulls 20A max, can I use 2 10A motors on a single 20A ESC. or do I need 2 ESC's and how do you connect 2 esc's to the same channel? Can you use a standard splitter with 1 battery and a battery splitter or do i need 2 batteries, 1 for each ESC?

3- Battery choice. would like to use the original battery type, but would i have to up the mha and or discharge rate and or the cells (eg 2s battery to a 3s)

Any help would be appreciated.
1 - You can use same motors or slightly smaller. Try to keep something wit same propeller size for the good looks - unless it is i "jet style" where you want as small props as possible.
2 - use 2 identical setups with motors and controllers - unless you are building the motors in line where you can have differens size of motors.
You can used the same batteries (if you have margin regarding the C-rating). The extra weight will give you slightly shorter flight time. If the model is relatively large you will not see a big difference as the motors are less of the total weight. A battery with more mAh and C could be necessary - but that is only possible to decide if you give all data of the existing plane and setup.

asitterlee

Thanks for the help.
Trying to do something different, converting a foamie ME-109 into a twin engine bomber.
Have yet to do any testing as wasn't sure on any of the electrical hook ups.
Thanks for the help