Help, "remote receiver?"

DRT

I am frustrated. I placed orders for the Aura Lite gyro board. A suggested product for the receiver was the Spectrum RC DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver. I chose this as the receiver.
Flash forward to today. I am getting to the point in the build (mini Mustang) where I am getting the servos attached to the Aura Lite board and try to get it to bind to my receiver.

I plugged the DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver in (following along with Josh in his video
) and he says “the receiver will start blinking, indicating it is ready to start binding.” (It should be noted the DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver and whatever receiver Josh is using in the video are VERY similar in appearance.)
The DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver was plugged in and I waited, and waited, and waited. It never started blinking. The Aura board is blinking like in the video. I have a Spektrum DX6e transmitter.
I read ALL the details in the DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver instruction manual. Now I see the details this must be plugged into the “receiver.”
So I am dead in the water.
Am I missing something? Will the DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver act as a receiver or am I correct in thinking it is just an extension to an actual receiver?
What receiver should I be looking for since the Aura Lite gyro board has the attachments for throttle, ailerons, rudder and elevator?
Thank you in advance,

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Generally, satellite receivers don't have a provision to put them into bind mode, they are bound at the same time as the 'main' receiver, or are told to go into bind mode by the FC's firmware. Newer serial race receivers have autobind, where if there is no bound radio present when they power up they go into bind mode automatically. I imagine that is the type of Rx used in the video.

I'm not sure if the Aura board can tell the satellite to go into bind mode, but if not you'll either need a regular Rx with a satellite port, or a FC running betaflight or something to put it into bind mode.

Bricks

Master member
For binding the satellite you need to plug it into a receiver, the remote receiver port and bind the receiver as normal it will bind the satellite receiver at the same time.

chrisvdv

@DRT Is it a "Spektrum" DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver or a different brand?

You say it is similar in appearance which make me think it could be another brand, hence my question.

DRT

Thank you all for the replies. I had also emailed Flite Test about the issue. They forwarded it to another company which gave me the following response (which worked perfectly):
Austin J. <XXX@amainhobbies.com>
Tue 6/16/2020 3:00 PM
To: You
Cc: sales@amain.com
Hi Steven,
Thanks for reaching out, here is the binding process for the aura 5. Press and hold the bind button on the Aura 5 while powering on the aura 5 with the receiver plugged into the b port, if it doesn't work let me know.

randyrls

Randy
That is the way to do it. It worked for me, but is difficult to do by yourself.

Thank you all for the replies. I had also emailed Flite Test about the issue. They forwarded it to another company which gave me the following response (which worked perfectly):
Austin J. <XXX@amainhobbies.com>
Tue 6/16/2020 3:00 PM
To: You
Cc: sales@amain.com
Hi Steven,
Thanks for reaching out, here is the binding process for the aura 5. Press and hold the bind button on the Aura 5 while powering on the aura 5 with the receiver plugged into the b port, if it doesn't work let me know.