help selecting a gyro

sundown57

Legendary member
So after being stuck in the house for weeks on end, I ended up building a couple planes that are probably beyond my ability to fly. (true for most planes I fly I know,, but anyway) I was thinking of trying to add a gyro but curious if they are all the same. I'm using a Flysky I6S, do I need one specific for that model? and do you think it will actually help keep the plane in the air longer? Thanks

danskis

Master member
I was facing the same problem - and I was tired of crashing on maiden flights. I bought this:

https://usa.banggood.com/NX3-3D-Fli...cWZJtr7g043kCAxoCFUgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

Once you get into it its surprisingly easy to set up and works fantastic. I put it in a warbird and it flew on the first hand launch and all consecutive launches. You will need to figure out how to use switch C on the FlySky. It does take up a little room in the plane. If its going on an elevon plane you do NOT mix your elevons with the transmitter - the gyro will do that for you with a flip of a switch. I highly recomend this gyro.

quorneng

Master member
I fitted a separate gyro and it worked ok but it does take up a bit more space.
For really small scale planes I found a gyro rx (actually a Spektrum compatible Lemon 6ch rx with an integral 3 axis gyro) small, very easy to install and cheap enough to be 'fit and forget'. They are spectacularly effective in keeping things under control in turbulent conditions as you quickly find out if you switch the gyro off in flight. ;)

alan0043

zohd kopilot is plug and play ....stabilization mode, launch assist, and has the "return to home" failsafe feature which is great insurance for $40 bucks

Hi Aireal,

Thank you for posting the zohd kopilot idea. I was curious to know if you have a kopilot or know someone with a kopilot. It looks like you can use your own receiver with is set-up.

Al

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Hi Aireal,

Thank you for posting the zohd kopilot idea. I was curious to know if you have a kopilot or know someone with a kopilot. It looks like you can use your own receiver with is set-up.

Al

Yes .... actually I bought a couple of kopilots for my grandsons and and as luck would have it I made a how to install video for everyone while I was doing a video for the kids because there were no how to videos for using non sbus receivers like many have......and the instructions are WORTHLESS its not just chinglish, there is a lot of the setup details just missing and no one had addressed the incompatible ESC issue that I and many others faced

just uploaded to YT for the kids a couple days ago

also this video, its is a work around I devised to address the incompatible ESC issues many had

Last edited:

TrashTek86

I'm not a proficient flyer so I installed a HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 gyro in my plane. It's awesome!!! It's a 6-axis gyro and can set different modes on a switch (Trainer, autolevel, normal, gyro off, atti-lock, auto hover) It was $42 on amazon. Only thing is that you would need a computer or laptop to program it unless you get the one with the programming card ($65).

Otherwise, you can go with the HobbyEagle A3 pro. Its also a 6-axis gyro but you program it with blinking lights directly on the gyro itself. Has the same modes as A3 Super 3. $40 right now on amazon.

sundown57

Legendary member
I'm not a proficient flyer so I installed a HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 gyro in my plane. It's awesome!!! It's a 6-axis gyro and can set different modes on a switch (Trainer, autolevel, normal, gyro off, atti-lock, auto hover) It was $42 on amazon. Only thing is that you would need a computer or laptop to program it unless you get the one with the programming card ($65).

Otherwise, you can go with the HobbyEagle A3 pro. Its also a 6-axis gyro but you program it with blinking lights directly on the gyro itself. Has the same modes as A3 Super 3. $40 right now on amazon.
thanks for telling me I might need a computer for this. something I need to watch out for only having a mac. The Kopilot only seems to ship from china, plus its 40 bucks. I was looking at this one e-bay, says it's in the US, any idea if I need to program it or will it do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NX3-Fixed-...767866?hash=item1f0419867a:g:a~wAAOSwdkNdr8nH

leaded50

Legendary member
NX3 is a3-axis flight controller, cheap but function very well (have it in one of my planes too) easy setup, no computer needed. But its no "return home" on it because no GPS control.

sundown57

Legendary member
I may be wrong but I don't think the no return home would be a big problem I was looking at these more to help me with the aileron control. that's where I think I make most of my mistakes.

TrashTek86

I tried the A3 V2 first, it only has 3-axis flight stabilization. And if you're a new, it may not help. it didn't for me. What I like about the 6-axis is that it will auto-level in trainer and auto-level modes. And you could work your way up to normal stabilization and gyro off modes. Both the A3 pro and the A3 super 3 are 6-axis. Its Just a matter of ease to programming between the two.