Help! Help starting my FPV adventure

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I have been interested in FPV flying for a while now and I just have the possibility to acquire the equipment. I have been doing a lot of reading to avoid throwing money away and I think I have a good initial purchase. I would like to get your opinions.
After some research, my target goggles are the EV800D with very good reviews and and most importantly, within my budget
1654875324205.png

And i am thinking to go with Wolfwhoop WT03 as Camera+VTx. This cameraVTX is pretty the same as the Eachine T03.
1654876444941.png

This configuration should work according to almost all reviews. It should work perfectly to at least start doing some initial flights and get used to FPV flight. But...
My concern is that this configuration only emits up to 200mW which could be a problem with a fairly discrete range (I'm not talking long range, just 500 meters or less). In several reviews you can see how video noise starts to appear after 100 meters.
The main advantage of this configuration is basically the price and that it comes with a leaf antenna.

The other fairly common option is to use VTx and camera separately like the AKK KC02
1654877448395.png

The main advantage of this variant is that it reaches up to 600mW which is quite a lot of power and you can also replace the camera in the future with a better quality one and still use the same VTx. But on the other hand, the cost is higher and the antenna is not the best, which implies having to buy a new antenna.

So, what do you advise me? :rolleyes:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Also as my first model I would like to go for something that is Pusher but also looks good (I have that little flaw hahaha). Then I saw this image
1654878048650.png

This model is basically a Cessna 02 A-B Skymaster modified by removing the front engine and modifying the nose for better aerodynamics. Finally, it looks good and should fly well anyway.

This led me to investigate if there was any Cessna Skymaster modified for a single pusher engine in full scale, and guess what? Yes there is, and it is the Cessna 02 Pelican
1654878426583.png
But I think I found a nicer variant and it's the Spectrum SA-550.
1654878314061.png

1654878342609.png

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have flown 500m on 25mW with minimal noise, so I am fairly sure any noise from the review issues aren't power related. (this was with my VAS antennas on both ends and a higher quality googles then your purchasing).

That said, the quality of your antennas on your googles and the sensitivity of your VRX in your googles impact your range significantly.
your 200mW is +10dbm over me flying at 25mW. I am fairly sure your receiver setup isn't 10dbm worse then mine (but could be), so unless the AiO there has a bad antenna and isn't actually outputting most of its power (or has some bad radiation pattern), you should be able to hit your goal of 500m.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The AiOs that I am using (I got them from IBCrazy at the last FF), I can't find quickly to link. the ones FliteTest sell look to be of reasonable quality. but if you really want to get range, you should get a separate VTX, antenna, Camera setup, so you can use a good antenna instead of the 'cheep' ones that are built in on the AiOs

Something from VAS is good for an VTX antenna, Foxeer lollipops I have also heard good things about (but haven't used myself).

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Thank you very much JasonK, I think that for my medium term needs, this initial configuration that I propose should be enough to enjoy my first FPV experience and to stay within my budget.

If want cheap range and penetration antennas, DIY helical antennas are excellent! Here’s a video i made like a year ago showing just how cheap, easy, and amazing they are… I use them almost exclusively for my flights.

Happy to answer questions, welcome and have fun, cheers!

Burnhard

I have been interested in FPV flying for a while now and I just have the possibility to acquire the equipment. I have been doing a lot of reading to avoid throwing money away and I think I have a good initial purchase. I would like to get your opinions.
After some research, my target goggles are the EV800D with very good reviews and and most importantly, within my budget
View attachment 226837

And i am thinking to go with Wolfwhoop WT03 as Camera+VTx. This cameraVTX is pretty the same as the Eachine T03.
View attachment 226838
This configuration should work according to almost all reviews. It should work perfectly to at least start doing some initial flights and get used to FPV flight. But...
My concern is that this configuration only emits up to 200mW which could be a problem with a fairly discrete range (I'm not talking long range, just 500 meters or less). In several reviews you can see how video noise starts to appear after 100 meters.
The main advantage of this configuration is basically the price and that it comes with a leaf antenna.

The other fairly common option is to use VTx and camera separately like the AKK KC02
View attachment 226839
The main advantage of this variant is that it reaches up to 600mW which is quite a lot of power and you can also replace the camera in the future with a better quality one and still use the same VTx. But on the other hand, the cost is higher and the antenna is not the best, which implies having to buy a new antenna.

So, what do you advise me? :rolleyes:
I have started flying FPV with pretty much exactly the setup you have been mapping out here. The goggles are alright for the start and the little cam with the cloverleaf antenna is actually doing a pretty decent job.

I got the orange cam for my drone exactly because of the higher mw but its actually less stable than the little one. I believe its due to the straight Antenna. I am yet to try with a cloverleaf antenna.

The benefit of the smaller cam is, that it fits basically everywhere even on the tail of a Tiny Trainer. That way you can see your wings and the horizon.

I would suggest to do the first run with something that is stabilized as that requires you to concentrate on less things. Also for the first flight you may want to get the aircraft to a decent hight and have somebody help you put on the googles so that you can keep on the sticks.

My first FPV felt very much like in the simulator with the major difference that you do not have much sound which means you do not hear when you decrease power from the motor. You will need to do a bit of testing how it feels and looks when moving towards a stall.

FPV can be super fun. Your setup provides good value for getting started. If you like what you see you can move to a more expensive and probably better setup. If it’s not for you, your loss is limited. Got all my gear from the bay. I loved the DJI pictures but did not want to spend that much money without knowing whether it is for me. Was a good choice. I like it every once in a while and it’s super cool if you bring friends along and they can fly with you. Decided to stay with my starter gear for now