help tiling pdf.

sundown57

Legendary member
ok, so I drew up some plans on a sheet of 30x32 paper. Old school, drawn by hand. then took it to staples and got it scanned to pdf. Now when I try to print tiled on my home printer and click add cut lines it centers the drawing with a huge border around it and goes from 12 pages to 22. Can anyone tell me how I can redraw it so it can be tile printed? Or is there a way to fix the pdf I have? thanks

mayan

Legendary member
I'd be interest to know as well, have the same issue each time I try to print a pdf titled.

CapnBry

Elite member
This drives me nuts too. The problem is that cut marks add a little bit extra because instead of being just corners, it makes misshapen plus signs and reduces the printable area to accommodate the outward-facing pieces of that plus sign. The only way around it I've found is to reduce the size of the PDF page that's being poster-ized until it stops overflowing to more pages. I actually went through this this weekend and got so frustrated I installed alternative PDF viewers to try to get a proper tiled print. I found that Foxit Reader seems to have slightly smaller cut marks that allowed me to get my 23x29 plans onto 9 pages instead of the 15 or so that Adobe wanted.

That said I installed them into virtual machines because I am wary of free PDF viewers installing spyware and I can't say with 100% certainty that Foxit is completely clear.

To get around this normally, I just import the PDF into Inkscape and copy out bits into smaller PDFs. This works well with vector drawings, but I don't think it would work with a scanned PDF. I'd be very interested to hear if there's a better way to do this considering I spend a lot of time taping plans together and often end up with parts with non-straight edges due to my poor tile assembly.

bracesport

Legendary member
Guys - I take my large print in a 2D programme and put in some A4 grid lines that I wish to tile - then I reduce the document page size to A4 - then I just move the drawing (which is larger than A4) around matching the grid lines and export each one as a PDF - gives you perfect tiles - let me know if you need more explanation?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Don't use page cut marks. Before you print poster, use the select tool and frame the plans as tightly as possible. Print selection. Oncce you print, assemble the tiles on a large window, just lining up the ends of each line.

mayan

Legendary member
Don't use page cut marks. Before you print poster, use the select tool and frame the plans as tightly as possible. Print selection. Oncce you print, assemble the tiles on a large window, just lining up the ends of each line.
Will try that I also had issue with AR and printing title pages.