Help updating blheli ESCs

Blatin

Hi all,

I have an F330 using a cc3d running Betaflight, with sunny sky x2212 1400 kv motors on 3s or 4s. It flies great, but ever since I built it 3 years ago, the motors always twitch and chirp, randomly spinning no more than 1/16 or 1/8 total revolutions once I plug it in. It does this until I arm it and then props spin with 1040 throttle signal is applied, once I disarm, its back to the chirping and twitching. I am trying to figure out why it does this. I never updated my ESCs, only calibrated them. I believe they are running blheli 14.1 blue series, but can't confirm as I can't get the chrome blheli configurator app to connect. However,I can connect to Betaflight 10.6. Im not trying to connect to blheli configurator while connected to Betaflight. Ive tried to with it closed, as well as running disconnected in the background. Any idea what I can do to get rid of the random chirping/twitching when disarmed, and how to updated ESCs?

These are my ESCs
https://www.banggood.com/2S-6S-BlHe...oNdEf9kJzMttIeBoCMMQQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks!

Blatin

Thanks for the reply. Ill borrow a friend Arduino board and give it a shot. I was under the impression that Betaflight supports a passthrough method that makes an Arduino not necessary, but I am still very new to the details of this hobby. It took me quite a while just to get the quad flyable. :)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I was under the impression that Betaflight supports a passthrough method that makes an Arduino not necessary, but I am still very new to the details of this hobby.

It does, and it works better with the standalone configurator I linked above

Blatin

hmm, still not able to connect. Getting the message: Connection failed, ensure you have selected correct port or restart your device.
Since I'm on a cc3d, Im plugging into battery first, then usb. I tried with and without Betaflight running and the device disconnected. Anything special that needs to be done to connect? Im using same USB port name as Betaflight uses.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I missed that you were on a CC3D... Even I'm not that old lol ;) From a quick search on the wider internet, I see that you can't use the main port to do the passthrough, you need to be on the flex port through a FTDI adapter. The jist of it is here: https://cleanflight.readthedocs.io/en/stable/1wire/

Whether it's easier to use an arduino or FTDI is up to you, either is a bit of a pain :)

Blatin

lol. Yeah I went cheap on the build with a CC3D. Was like 14 bucks or less at the time. I had to dig around for a mini USB then to program it.

This is great information and I now know why the blheli configurator doesn't connect. I think Ill try the Arduino route first as I can borrow one and not have to buy anything. :) Once there updated, I probably won't need to use it again, unless I need to make adjustments. Do you think installing blheli will keep the motors completely silent and still after the start up beeps when plugging in?

Any suggestions on what would be a good flight controller I may want to upgrade to or use for my next build? This F3 one seems popular, but there are a lot to choose from.
https://www.banggood.com/Upgrade-NA...232.html?rmmds=search&ID=17&cur_warehouse=USA
I think that one is all ready pretty dated though. I suppose the CC3D is what prevents me from seeing the voltage when in the Betaflight configurator.

Thanks again for all the help. I was completely stuck.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Go with f4 or F7 mate F3 support ends soon. The advances from f3 to f4 were amazing in how well things work. The feel of flying an f7 is nearly flawless. With me being its only flaw I have found so far

Reactions: FDS

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Do you think installing blheli will keep the motors completely silent and still after the start up beeps when plugging in?

That sounds more like a BF configuration problem. min_command should be set to 1000 and the ESC's should be calibrated using the motors tab. Also check for any dodgy solder joints.

Reactions: FDS

Blatin

I just recently learned that the Betaflight firmware version I was using was 2.1.7. I just updated to 3.1.7 and uncovered many more options... I selected PWM protocol for my ESC's and the chirping/twitched when disarmed stopped. I see many different protocols like OneShot125 and faster, but my ESCs act weird when disarmed and them enabled. Anyone know the best protocol I can use with properly updated ESCs?
Also the reason I'm running 3.1.7, and not 3.2.x is because I couldn't find the OPBL binary file to use in open pilot. I have the .hex file, but don't have an FTDI adapter and was wondering if there is a binary 3.2.x out there? 3.3 and later are discontinued for the CC3D, so having the latest firmware would be nice.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I believe with the original BLHeli, you needed different firmware to run different protocols, as opposed to BLHeli_S and 32 which can run whatever BF tells it to run. If your ESCs are capable of mulitishot, there will be a firmware file for it. If you can get in the air with BF 3.1.7 and PWM ESC's, you'll probably be happy with it.