help w/ FT Mustang please

FlyVirginia

hello, I built the FT mustang and have a power pack B equivalent but I can't get the plane to fly. I can't get up the required speed before it comes crashing into the ground (hand launch) any ideas? with the battery, it weighs 23.5 oz

Kendalf

Can you attach a picture of the plane? Maybe we can see something.

Also, have you checked that the servo throws are moving in the correct direction? A reversed elevator can really mess up a launch!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I don’t think the b-pack has quite enough punch for the larger ft planes, I’m sure built very light it would fly it, but not if it is heavy (yours is a little over weight, might want to put it on a diet ;)). What specific motor are you using? If it is one of those generic 2212, 1000kv gold motors that would probably explain it, as aforementioned, pics would help though.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
In addition to @Paracodespoder request for specifics on the motor, it would be helpful if you also include which prop and battery you are using.

Per the genuine B-pack specs you should be able to get close to 1:1 thrust to weight with this motor, 3 cell lipo and a 1047 prop.

Is the prop installed correctly (numbers to the front) and is the motor turning counter clockwise when you look at ithead in from the front?

FlyVirginia

This is the motor that I am using and it's running on an 18amp ESC and a 1000mah 2S (hoping to upgrade ESC and battery soon) it runs a 10x4.5 prop the motor turning CCW and the prop has #s forward here are some pics:
20190221_070349.jpg
20190221_070422.jpg
20190221_070414.jpg

so what do i need? do I need a better battery, motor, ESC, or all of the above?
Thanks
P.S. I'll try and get a "flight" video up this afternoon

Paracodespoder

Elite member
There’s your problem, planes this big won’t fly off a 2s, you’re gonna need a 3s (something around the 2000mah range) and maybe try a 9x6 prop. If that doesn’t work you need to get a larger motor (2215 or as aforementioned a 2217 has been proven to work well).

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Also, not sure from the picture but it looks like the tail section is tilted over compared to the wings. It's really important to have the horizontal stabilizer parallel to the wings - otherwise the back of your plane will always be trying to kick out to the side and you'll have a very exciting time flying it. Maybe too exciting. :oops:

Reactions: FDS

FlyVirginia

Also, not sure from the picture but it looks like the tail section is tilted over compared to the wings. It's really important to have the horizontal stabilizer parallel to the wings - otherwise the back of your plane will always be trying to kick out to the side and you'll have a very exciting time flying it. Maybe too exciting. :oops:
Just fixed it...after crashing it into the side of the house on another attempt where it decided that it would be a good idea to make a 90 degree turn and smash into the house

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just fixed it...after crashing it into the side of the house on another attempt where it decided that it would be a good idea to make a 90 degree turn and smash into the house

Sounds like your plane might need some therapy... even in foam board, self-harm isn't a good thing ;)

Do you have the capability to video your flight attempts? It could help us diagnose what's going on - a video of the control surface check so we can see how far the throws are going too. Also, is this your first plane ever, or do you have some RC flight / simulator experience already?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I think once you replace your battery with 3S you will be in a better place. On the 2S, it might be able to cruise at full throttle but it's probably stalling out when you try to climb at launch, dropping a wing, and making the 90 degree turn.

Although in pretty sure mustang size planes will carry a 2200mAh, it would be easier to fly with a 1300-1600 because its will be lighter.

Of the two batteries you linked to, the Gens Ace is better (known brand and 25C versus the other one which is only a 15C).

One last point about crashing into the side of the house. If you can crash into the side of a house with this plane, you are probably not flying in a big enough space (depending on your skill level). Try to find a nice open space where you can put her up three mistakes high.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the new batts.

FlyVirginia

I think once you replace your battery with 3S you will be in a better place. On the 2S, it might be able to cruise at full throttle but it's probably stalling out when you try to climb at launch, dropping a wing, and making the 90 degree turn.

Although in pretty sure mustang size planes will carry a 2200mAh, it would be easier to fly with a 1300-1600 because its will be lighter.

Of the two batteries you linked to, the Gens Ace is better (known brand and 25C versus the other one which is only a 15C).

One last point about crashing into the side of the house. If you can crash into the side of a house with this plane, you are probably not flying in a big enough space (depending on your skill level). Try to find a nice open space where you can put her up three mistakes high.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the new batts.
I ordered the batteries today and the thing with the house was I was just flying it in my yard to see if it could fly at all. when it comes for a full maiden I´ll take it to a 7-acre farm/field

Beavis

I fly with both the 2200 3s, and a 1050 3s in my FT Mustang. The bigger one (2200) has to be set farther back to get the right C of G. So for ease of battery install, I go with the 1050. For long duration flight, I go 2200. Just mark your battery compartment once you decide what you want to go with.

FT Mustang is pretty much my favorite FT model. Better than the Spitfire, Sportster, and Scout. As far as scratchbuilt DTFB planes go, I haven't found one as forgiving and enjoyable. I run mine on a C pack, and run low rate servos on my transmitter.

I went flying yesterday for the first time in several months. What were my go-to planes? A mini P-47 Thunderbolt based on the mini Scout, and of course, the FT Mustang. The mini got my flying legs back under me, and the Mustang was for pure joy.

Good luck, will tune in for video/results.