Help with attaching prop.

DhruvS/Magnetar

Hello! I recently built my first rc plane( FT Storch). When I attach the prop to the motor shaft with the collet, the whole collet and prop comes off. I need help.

Attachments

• 15539368543291001196813629455154.jpg
    15539368543291001196813629455154.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1553936873194751234739431822669.jpg
    1553936873194751234739431822669.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
Thighten it down by holding the motor and the prop and spin the so to speak bolt. Don’t know how that part is called.

quorneng

Master member
Could it be you have the wrong prop adaptor.
Some motors have 3 mm shafts, others have 3.17 mm (1/8"). They require the correct size adaptor to work.
A 3.17 adaptor on a 3 mm shaft will be loose and cannot be tightened.
The right adaptor for a motor will be 'snug' fit on the shaft even without tightening the nut.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Although rare, it can be that if you prop adapter fits the shaft correctly you could have a "thin" prop. This happens when you think the hub is tight against the prop but it is actually bottomed out on the adapter itself.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with all of the above. Another possibility, the hole in the prop needs to be slightly larger. If you need to force the prop onto the shaft, make the hole slightly larger. The prop could be preventing the adapter from drawing down on the shaft.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
As stated above are you using something like a small alien wrench thru the whole and holding the motor barrel and tightening it down, just holding the prop many times will not get it tight.

DhruvS/Magnetar

Thankyou guys! I fixed the prop on the shaft. I am going to make a new thread about the difficulties I faced while building the FT Storch. Can't wait for the maiden flight. Hope I don't crash very bad lol. Cheers.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am going to make a new thread about the difficulties I faced while building the FT Storch. Can't wait for the maiden flight.
Was the storch your first build?
I find mine is a nice 4 channel trainer (one of my first planes with flaps...)

For the maiden, take video if you can, it'll help us celebrate your success (or failures) AND help us diagnose any "issues" you might run across.

mayan

Legendary member
Was the storch your first build?
I find mine is a nice 4 channel trainer (one of my first planes with flaps...)

For the maiden, take video if you can, it'll help us celebrate your success (or failures) AND help us diagnose any "issues" you might run across.
I second this!

Yes the Storch ist my first build. I will surely take a video. Maiden is going to be tomorrow.
Good luck!