Help with basflight/cleanflight/openpilot

tacoman519

Help with baseflight/cleanflight/openpilot

My new Naze32 board arrived in the mail today for my first quadcopter build but as i go to flash its firmware i discover that its not being detected, i downloaded all my drivers and even tried changing settings in device manager but it turns out that i dont have any COM ports available to use for my board as it keeps saying "please select valid serial port." Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

Do the leds on the fc light up? Which ones?
Assuming you are using windows, is windows detecting the board at all if you plug it in?
Anyway, some things you can try: different USB port (try a USB 2 port), different USB cable and using a powered USB hub, especially if its a laptop.

tacoman519

the LEDs do light up there is a steady blue and a flashing green for a bit but the green one stops after a while, i dont believe windows is detecting the usb at all, but i think the main problem is that my flight programmers arent detecting any ports to connect too.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Taco,

First off, Welcome to the forum.

The LEDs tell us the USB port is powered and the power is making it to the board. It also tells us *something* is running on the board, so assuming the hardware is good, it's a matter of connecting the parts.

Two things to look at:

- Seriously, follow ZnB's advise if you haven't. Some of the USB controllers on these boards can be finicky and like the port on the front but not on the back, or the port on the left end but not on the right. Despite the promise of "Universal", not all USB ports and hubs are created equal and these tiny microcontrollers don't support every possible port type they can plug into.

- Install the Drivers. There's a link on the front page of the cleanflight configurator to download and install. sometimes you get lucky and it installs on it's own, sometimes you're not. Windows would respond if the drivers weren't right, but sometimes it's complaints can go unnoticed.

tacoman519

So it went even more wrong last night as I was about to test the board out on a MacBook I somehow ended up snapping the microusb port off somehow, anyways half an hour later and a lot of solder I finally end up accidentally ripping off the connection pads for the port anyways. So now a new board is on its way from next fpv with the 1-3 day shipping. I believe my main mistake was ordering off eBay from China, it wasn't an official naze board and I think that was the problem. I shall return in 1-3 days time with reports of the new board thanks for all your help guys this is possibly the friendliest forum I've ever been part of.

fsteele64

You're seeming to have the same issue I had. I was lucky enough to try it on 4 different computer running 4 different operating systems. It's not you're computer or board, but it's probably your cable. I fiddled and fussed with mine for 3 hours one night, only to figure out I needed to try a different USB cable. Give that a try.