Help! Help with battery

BoredGuy

Thought I would go flying today, so I put my 450mah 3s to charge. The light still showed “charging” an hour later, which I thought was a bit much because I didn’t run the battery down to empty the last time I flew. I checked with a multimeter, two cells showed 3.85v each while one showed zero on the charging plug. However, I was still getting 7.7v on the power plug that goes to the esc, which doesn’t make sense because the 3 cells are in series-the series circuit would be broken if one cell is gone, so shouldn’t there be no voltage at the terminal? What’s going on? I’m a bit confused.

Bricks

Master member
Just because they are in series and one cell is bad does not mean you will not have voltage at the plug. Only way you will not have voltage is if the tabs soldered directly to the cells is broken or all the cells are dead.

BoredGuy

you have a dead/shorted out cell.
Man, that was a new battery, only 2 flights on it. Shorting out does kinda explain why I still have voltage at the discharge plug, but only 2s voltage. Guess I was lucky there wasn’t a fire -_- What can cause a battery to do this? I had a bad crash last flight, could that be it? Also would it be viable to open the battery and harvest the two working cells to get a 2s 450?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Man, that was a new battery, only 2 flights on it. Shorting out does kinda explain why I still have voltage at the discharge plug, but only 2s voltage. Guess I was lucky there wasn’t a fire -_- What can cause a battery to do this? I had a bad crash last flight, could that be it? Also would it be viable to open the battery and harvest the two working cells to get a 2s 450?

bad crash might have done it. if it was poorly balanced and discharged to much could do it also (but not likely to happen in 2 flights).

Can the cells be harvested to make a 2s battery? yes -> would I suggest going it- most likely not. (IE only if you really know what your doing)

T1TAN

bad crash might have done it. if it was poorly balanced and discharged to much could do it also (but not likely to happen in 2 flights).

Can the cells be harvested to make a 2s battery? yes -> would I suggest going it- most likely not. (IE only if you really know what your doing)
If he is asking if he can harvest, then he probably doesnt know how to xD.

Hvon11

I have two 3S batteries with shorted cells. All as a result of crashes. They still work as 2S and I can charge and discharge them. I don’t fly with them but I use them for testing things and as power supply for my servo centering tool. If you dispose of it, I recommend discharging completely by attaching a load resistor or a 9volt rated flashlight bulb.

Last edited: