Help with breaking in nitro fuel motor

earthsciteach

I am a nitro fuel neophyte! Pilot-294's Thunder Tiger 40 trainer is begging me to fly it. He went through the procedure with me a few months ago before he left for the Air Force. But, Its all a blur to me now. Can anyone help me out with the procedure?

Thanks!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Is it a brand new motor?
If it is used then you dont have to break it in.

I am normally adding some more % of oil for the first tanks.
Depending of the type of motor (ABC ringed a s o) there is different need of breaking in the motor.
Always runt the new motor a little on the rich side (open the needle .25 to .5 turns from the optimum).

First starts normally dont get to long by nature ;-) - but try to keep the first runs short and feel that the motor dont get to hot - let it cool down a little after each start. When the motor runs reliable then you should run the motor at different revs from idle to full speed perhaps a minute on each setting to see that the motor dont stop at you.

After a few tanks on the ground i will do the remaining breaking in, in the air with "gentle flying" high enough that i can land the model safely "dead stick" if the motor stops in the air.

earthsciteach

I know that it is relatively new, but wasn't flown much at all (maybe once or twice). Jesse told me that he didn't think he had broken it in properly, so advised me to do so.

Thank you for your advice!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
What's the brand and model of the engine? It's always best to follow the break in instructions as per the manual. If it has been flown, don't mess with any of the needle valves yet ESPECIALLY THE LOW END NEEDLE VALVE!!!! Break in is very simple for example my glo engine's manual stated to run for 40 minutes on the ground then you were done.

earthsciteach

I'll have to check the brand tomorrow. The plane is in my classroom at school.

BM-As ridiculous as it sounds, I truly never even considered looking up a manual for the motor! I am a guy after all! LOL