Help with building Bix 3

Azarooroo

For a long time now I have really wanted to get into the RC hobby, and I thought that the best way to do this would be by building my own plane. I have had a fair amount of experience flying 3ch beginner planes, and thought that building a plane would be a great learning experience. Little did I know that for a beginner building a plane can be quite a tricky task :D. Recently I purchased a Bix 3 ARF from Hobbyking along with a number of parts recommended to me (I'll write a list of everything I have so far at the bottom), but now that everything is sitting in front of me I'm confused about how to put everything together and set up the transmitter. I'm also unsure as to whether I have everything I need to build it and get up and flying (So basically how do I put everything together and do I have everything I need to start flying?). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what I have at the moment:
- Master Airscrew propeller 8x4 (I've got no clue how to connect this to the motor)
- 6 HXT900 micro servos 9g
- 2728 Brushless Outrunner motor 1000 kv (which doesn't seem to fit into the black plastic motor mount provided)
- Hobby King 30A esc 3A UBEC
- FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo pack for JR with telemetry module V8FR-II RX
- A Turnigy 9XR pro
- Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20c lipo
- Some servo lead extensions (which are a bit too long, will this matter?)
- XT60 connectors to connect the battery to the esc (is this correct?)
- Some shrink tube and electrical tape to cover any exposed bits that I have to solder
- 5 minute epoxy super glue
- All the different parts that come with the plane
- Some velcro for if I need to strap anything into place.
- And of course the Bix 3 plane itself

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Looks like you've got *most* everything.

You'll need to pick up a 3mm prop adaptor (look for the collet type, not the grub screw), and probably an X-mount adaptor for the motor. The X-mount bolts to the back of your motor, then the mount's legs stick out beyond the motor so you can screw it down to the firewall. I don't know enough about your firewall to advise in further detail.

The Servo extension lengths are probably OK.

So long as the XT-60 matches the battery's connector, you're good there.

Shrink tube. Don't use electricians tape. Get's gummy everywhere, and when it fails (not if) if you're lucky enough to repair it, it's a mess to do so. Shrink tube.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what more you need to know. Battery plugs into the ESC. ESC plugs into the motor and RX. RX plugs into the servos. Parts and pieces go where they need to go . . . are there any other specifics that you're not sure about?

Azarooroo

Thank you so much Crafty Dan! That's great to hear I've got just about everything I need! So where would I be able to find an X-mount adapter and which one should I get? What is the firewall? Maybe I can send some photos through and specifications?

Azarooroo

Actually never mind I can see how the motor mounts to the plastic mount provided. Should be all sorted now. Thanks again!