Help with ESCs and FC

Aakarshed

So I recently started buidling my first quad, and have done everything mechanical except attach my receiver. My problem is that my motors do not show any activity, and that I can't flash my Flight Controller. I don't know if the first problem is the result of the second, but I am stumped. I have an spracingf3 flight controller, and emax 12 escs. In other videos, the motors beep indicating power and signal when you plug the battery in, but this isn't happening for me. However, I do know that the motors work because when I went to the BLHeli chrome app and clicked read setup, I got the correct beeps and the motors twitched, but it didn't show anything on the screen. Then, I installed BLHeli suite for windows, and first it said "recognized ESCs 1, 2, 3, and 4," but then said can't read ESC number 1. I use cleanflight, and loaded the latest version onto my board using the STM tool, but when I try to flash firmware, it stops at the verifying stage and says "STM32 timed out programming failed" I used a STM tool to load cleanflight onto my board, is this the same thing as flashing it on cleanflight?

I would appreciate any help I can get because this is really frustrating as I have spent 200 dollars on this build to no effect and just really want to fly.