Help with fpv setup and cheap glasses.

aiidanwings

I've been curious about those glasses myself. I recommend using a monitor before transitioning to glasses. You can get a TFT monitor from eBay for about $30.

I'm using a the two channel version of that camera system with no problems.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That FPV system is good, but you'll find it has very limited range in that stock configuration.

Most people try to improve range with more power, but the 200 mw is my preferred output range.

Fortunately for you David, and others have done a fantastic job of posting tutorials on how to improve range through better antennas that you can build yourself.

As to the glasses, I don't know. They'll "work" with the system, but the image quality might not be what you want. I found FPV to be very disorienting at first (and still...) and that using a TV instead of the goggles was best in some cases, because I could look away from the screen to see where the aircraft was, when I got uncomfortable.

RoyBro

Mentor
Don't feel bad about being broke. I've been way too impatient to get into flying and FPV. I ended up spending more on the cheap route than if I had saved for the proven, high quality product. So save your cash while doing as much research as possible.
My delema is now I have enough for a Fatshark system, they're out of stock everywhere. So what are you going to do? :confused:

RB

Last edited:

nunieboy

i don't really plan on doing far fpv. just the football size field infront of my house. I'm just practicing. i'll eventually move up once i can trust my equipment. but i think you guys are right. be patient and wait for better

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm not sure if I just ignored my own advice. I just ordered the Fatshark Dominator goggles.
Please follow my logic here and tell me if "I done it again". :rolleyes:

Earlier, on impulse, Ibought a 1.3 GHz TX/RX from Foxtech FPV. Iwas influenced by StoneBlue Airlines long range shootout. When I came into this windfall (sold my iPad2), I thought about getting an RTF system like the Preditor V2.
But alas, nobody seemed to have it in stock unless it was at an obscenely inflated price. To keep a long story from getting too much longer, I decided on the Dominator because of its higher resolution and modularity. I can start using it right away with the 1.3G system via a cable, and later switch to 5.8G and head tracking as I have the funds.

Because of the higher resolution, I don't anticipate having to upgrade the goggles for some time. :cool:

RB

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I've been trying to get by "on the cheap" as well, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and go for the Gopro and Fatsharks. I am just not getting what I want with my current setup of keychain camera and small monitor. I just can't see the monitor well in the daylight, even with a custom hood. The keychain camera is just fighting me with jello. I guess there is a reason everyone fly's them...

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm starting to look at my "cheap" purchases this way. When I'm done, who's going to buy them from me. If the answer is nobody, I'll just pass.
In the case of the FatShark goggles, even if they come out with a new whiz-bang high resolution with lots more features, these goggles will still be in demand for some time.

johanjonker

The thing about FPV is that you might or might not like it. I still find flying alone, I don't really enjoy FPV cause I feel vulnerable..

If I had a $ for every time someone walked unto me or moved my antenna or if I have the goggles on flying between trees or whatever, and someone start poking me.. I need a spotter with a baseball bat..

Start with the best gear you could possible afford, you'll need it to start, trust me.. Start with good Basic equipment.
I fly some planes on a 420tvl camera, and it fly just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, its like giving a beginner a untrimmed plane. sure its flyable, just not something to start with.

If I could start over getting into FPV, I wouldn't buy half the stuff I did.. and I would have bought better equipment to start with..

Mattplaneflyer recomended camera is a 600tvl http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

Stick to a good basic system.. you might never need more than OSD showing the battery status.. but DONT, get anything more than the basic's.. you might never use it..

RoyBro

Mentor
so which fatshark do i get... there's so many options

It may be more of a question of which FatShark CAN you get. If you want an all-in-one solution, then the Predator V2 RTF system for under $300 is the best bet. Unfortunately, it appears to be out of stock everywhere. That is, unless you want to pay a grossly inflated price.

I chose to buy the Dominator without any additional modules because of the higher resolution and field of view compared with the Predator.

FatShark Comparison.PNG

With no modules, it will be like having a set of base goggles, connected via wire to my receiver. As funds become available I can add the head tracking module and the 5.8GHz module to make them wireless. The Dominator is $299, more than the Predator V2 at $279, but it was available.

Last edited:

nunieboy

according to the chart.. the baseSD and attitudeSD has same image size and quiality... maybe i should just aim for that and get a base station...

RoyBro

Mentor
I just pulled the trigger on one from readymaderc.com and it will be here Friday. Same price.

Awesome. Well, it stands to reason that if it is back in stock in one location, it will be in others unless they have something exclusive going on. I just got a email saying that my Dominator shipped from Hong Kong (a week after ordering). So It sounds like you'll be playing, while I sit and wait.

My timing is always off. :(

RoyBro

Mentor
Do you guys think the Attitude SD is worth it?

As this will be my first time laying eyes on any sort of FatShark product, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I chose the Dominator because I could use it with what I have already and add the modules as I see fit. I'm not sure how those little boxes on the chart, or the specs for that matter, translate into the real world. I guess the three of us will have to compare notes on our experiences and write up a collaborative review on the different models.

My advice at this point: because of the price of the low end vs the high end, anything you get will be quite an investment. If you buy the low end at $300, will you be willing to spend almost $400 for the ones you REALLY wanted in the first place without kicking yourself around the block?

I like the Attitude as well, but compromised with the Dominator because I could add the head tracking and wireless 5.8GHz modules later.