Help! Help with FT Explorer

Innaviation

I recently finished a scratch build of the FT Explorer using the B pack motor and a 9 in reverse prop. I took it out for a maiden only to find that it is barely able to get off the ground and flies like a FT flyer or Nut-ball. Wondering if anyone has had past issues with this and if they figured them out.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I recently finished a scratch build of the FT Explorer using the B pack motor and a 9 in reverse prop. I took it out for a maiden only to find that it is barely able to get off the ground and flies like a FT flyer or Nut-ball. Wondering if anyone has had past issues with this and if they figured them out.
Do you have the prop on backwards - the text on prop should face the direction of travel of the plane. If you have it the wrong way around it will work, but weakly.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Have you confirmed that your plane balances on the marked CofG point, a rearward point of balance will make the plane pitch up like a Nutball and the roll over to one side and hit the dirt as it stalls.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
...and the B-pack is way to small in my opinion. i just scratch built one and used the old C-pack on 4S with a 9x4.5 prop because of the lack of power in the ones i have flown with the smaller motor.

good luck,

me :cool:

Innaviation

Do you have the prop on backwards - the text on prop should face the direction of travel of the plane. If you have it the wrong way around it will work, but weakly.
I checked and I did have the prop on the wrong way. The plane does balance right so hopefully the backwards prop will be the solution. To be clear on the prop direction for the reverse prop, the text on the prop should face the same direction the plane will travel once in the air.

I'll keep you posted on if the prop direction will fix it.
Thanks!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I checked and I did have the prop on the wrong way. The plane does balance right so hopefully the backwards prop will be the solution. To be clear on the prop direction for the reverse prop, the text on the prop should face the same direction the plane will travel once in the air.

I'll keep you posted on if the prop direction will fix it.
Thanks!
Yes, always text facing the planes direction of flight.
Good luck!!

Innaviation

Just got back from the first correctly placed prop. It worked well and had enough power to do basic flight but I must agree with mrjdstewart about the B pack not having quite enough power.

Thanks for the help!
Sambot