Help! Help With Gliders flight characteristics after repair and upgrade

sumone

i Recently had to repair a Volantex Phoenix V1 and also upgraded the servos to metal gear ones.
Before the Crash / Upgrade it would glide beautifully with the fuse pretty much horizontal with very little sink.
Since the Repair/Servo Upgrade it glides with the nose slightly raised causing it to loose air speed with noticeably more sink

I have tried adjusting the ailerons and trimming it out but can't seem to get it like it was.
I have attached a pic exaggerating whats happening if that helps.

Any Ideas ?
Capture.PNG

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Have you tried trimming the elevators so it noses down a little more? If you have then could you add what actually broke in the crash? Also, the CG may have moved back perhaps?

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Yeh. Actually, I think that would be CG issue just with all that tail weight it would cause it to want to nose up and would have increased sink. Try a little nose heavy instead of proper CG?

sumone

Yeh. Actually, I think that would be CG issue just with all that tail weight it would cause it to want to nose up and would have increased sink. Try a little nose heavy instead of proper CG?

I did try Moving the battery forward and trimming the elevator to make it nose down more but that just made the glider descend faster.
as for what broke in the crash nothing major I cartwheeled it into a barbed wire fence and snapped the bracket that holds the horiz. and vert. stab in place .
the bracket was already 3d printed and i just printed another one so no change in tail weight.
although i did give the vert. and horiz. stab a light coat of paint but i wouldn't think it would really add much weight to a plane that size.
Also the new receiver is a little heavier and i also added vario but were talking a couple grams and that's positioned forward of the CG.
Not sure what else to try. It's a shame because it used to be so floaty.

Bricks

Master member
Any weight added to the airframe will change how it flies, gliders have a long tail adding any weight can change how it flies. Can you check incidence cartwheeling may have moved something you cannot see as being foam does not take much . If CG is right then I suspect the incidence could be off.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Ok then. I wouldn't really know what to other than the angle of the wing or even something wrong with the angle with the horizontal or vertical stabilizer when the broke? Possibly if you put heavier equipment on it? I dunno.

sumone

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'm Going to Keep at it till i figure it out.
I do have other planes to fly and a V2 phoenix still in box but i do also enjoy problem solving so i will keep taking it to the field with me and try shimming the wing main wing and horiz. stab and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks again for the suggestions

Piotrsko

Master member
Shim either the wing or the stab not both. Heavier and slow will make it "mush" which is the description you used and means it is either stalled or really close. Flying faster does not mean less efficient, it's just harder to stay in tiny thermals, and it exaggerates the rate of sink which does not necessarily increase. Nose heavy causes the same mush all things remaining the same.