Help with H-quad

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
you are almost there PaulT, dont give up ! my first quad took me more than 3 months to get airborne, couldnt program the kk1 right, and I had noone to look up for tips ....

PaulT

Mentor
IT LIVES!!!!!
Stubborn perseverance or dogged determination?
Maybe just not smart enough to know when to quit!
Progress (YES!:applause:).
Received the Rctimer 30A ESC's (flashed with current SimonK FW) and thankfully (never order exactly what you need) four of the five work.
Re-did, re-set, and re-everything again for setups and after six batteries and 3 props, the darned thing actually flies.
Still needs some fine tuning but at least I can hoover at six feet for three or four minutes without smoking it into the ground.:eek:
My not-so-final settings (for those caring to know) is:
P gain 65
I gain 12
both limits at 100
stick scaling at 55
ER9x radio at:
D/R at 25
expo at 22

The new ESC's made a huge difference in control.
Thanks to everyone on their input.
When I get a little more proficient with flying, I'll post a video.

Woohoo...I mean ....."When you look at the dark side, careful you must be ... for the dark side looks back."

Last edited:

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Congratz PaulT; I always knew you would make it !!

here is my PID settings with SimonK Escs for your reference.

ail/elev

Pgain 60
Plimit 100

Igain 30
Ilimit 20

Rudder

Pgain 60
Plimit 20

Igain 30
Ilimit 10

Self Level

Pgain 65
Plimit 65

stick scaling at 80-85

PaulT

Mentor
I think that your settings will ultimately be very close to where mine end up.
So, from what I have gleaned so far in this journey...

P Gain - the higher you can set this, the better for responsiveness.
If your ESC's aren't capable of higher frequencies ( in my case the Plush 25's) then with a low P Gain setting of 20 or lower (any higher and it was oscillating) the quad was uncontrollable.
I liken this to being a delay between the stick and the quad response.
P Limits is more like a range setting.
I Gain controls drifting and hold positioning

At least this is what I have been able to figure out.

Am I way off base?

Anyone want a defective RcTimer ESC..??? lol

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Sometimes those ESC's just get a bad flash. Don't get rid of it till you or someone else tries a re-flash.

Thurmond

PaulT

Mentor
Rctimer is giving me a store credit which means...more money to spend!!!!
But I think I will try to reflash it as I already have a the technology (google) at hand....
A bad flash is their suggestion too.

PaulT

Mentor
NO LAUGHING!:eek:
This is a huge accomplishment for me.

And even a so-so landing..

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
Still going to be a while before I would consider it "Stable" Andre.
Need to run through lots of batteries to tune this beast...

I'm a little giddy about it actually flying!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I just found this thread today. What a ride, from start to finish. Frustration to joy in just a few posts. Add to that a successful on board video to top it off!

Looking forward to seeing some scenic flights with this new platform of yours Paul.

Now if I'd just get off my butt and get something back in the air...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I tried to buy some of the ESC's from Value Hobby, but the site appears to be having issues. It won't let me add to cart, or even sign in.

PaulT

Mentor
Started the project a week before Christmas and got it in the air two months later...
Next one will be easier and faster I think Fred.
Googling for information is one thing, getting help on this forum was what made it possible.
Still like the design, but I am starting to already look at converting the next one into a foldable design.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I often think "what did we do before the internet?" Because of the internet, you're able to converse with many more people with similar interests, than you could without it. Ideas can be shared across the globe instantly. Niche market items can be purchased, that even with mail order, would not have been possible before.

Forums are a huge part of this. I'm glad that it's a resource that we have available to us.

Thinc2

Started the project a week before Christmas and got it in the air two months later...
Next one will be easier and faster I think Fred.
Googling for information is one thing, getting help on this forum was what made it possible.
Still like the design, but I am starting to already look at converting the next one into a foldable design.

Totally agree! Have been googling and reading the forums for months educating myself. Am 90% done with my build, but the one part I forgot to order - the battery charger!...

So I can't bind my rx or start the tuning work. Hopefully will be flying (crashing) in the next 3-4 weeks :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Paul, I'm trying to get my new Rotor Bones equipped tricopter working.

Of course I'm making many mistakes at once, by trying to change several elements at the same time, instead of taking the working design and changing one piece at a time.

I've just about got it worked out, it should be flying soon.

Thinc2

For my own reference point - how much stick control does it take for a halfway stable hover with a KK2 board on a H Quad - 11 inch props, 750KV motors, SimonK esc's.