Help with Mighty Mini Mustang!

Raffapedia

Hello, I was just starting this awesome hobby. I have built the mighty mini trainer and mighty mini speedster and flown them. However I want to build a better looking airplane that still flies on 3 channels. I was wondering if the Mighty mini Mustang is able to fly without the ailerons, so I could have a 3 channel mini mustang with elevator, rudder, and motor control. It would be great if you could give me any feedback on a 3 channel mini mustang with elevator, rudder, and motor control.

Thanks!:)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Well...

In theory a 3ch mustang will work, but it would be very unstable with the given dihedral. So if you can increase the dihedral of the wings enough it should work fine. Honestly though, if you can fly a 3ch bird fine enough you may just want to build the mustang as is and use it as a 4ch trainer. That's the great thing about FT warbirds. They don't have any of the nasty tendencies, and they can work as basic trainers.

Raffapedia

Well...

In theory a 3ch mustang will work, but it would be very unstable with the given dihedral. So if you can increase the dihedral of the wings enough it should work fine. Honestly though, if you can fly a 3ch bird fine enough you may just want to build the mustang as is and use it as a 4ch trainer. That's the great thing about FT warbirds. They don't have any of the nasty tendencies, and they can work as basic trainers.

Ok, that's awesome to know, thanks very much!:):cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Greetings,

The mini mustang can and does fly as a 3 channel assuming the 3 channels are Throttle, Elevator, and aileron. A Yank and Bank similar to the old style Pylon racers.

I have a Balsa mustang about the same size and it flys quite well.

Just a thought:black_eyed:

Last edited:

moebeast

I built mine without a rudder, and it flies fine. If you have 4 servos, you might as well make it 4 channel and start learning to use it.
Also, check out the skins Rasterize made for it.

kdobson83

You said you have a Tiny Trainer, why not build the sport wing for it? Josh designed that plane to brown with its pilot, so if you bought the speed built kit, it should have the wing in it. If not, it's super easy to scratch build. I personally, would do that first, slap the aileron wing on your trainer and get used to 4 channels, or at the least, bank and yank flying. Then I would build the mustang, with or without the rudder. If your good with the 3 channel, youll do fine with 4. 95% of the time, I only use rudder for take offs myslef, hardly ever even touch it.
Happy Building!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You said you have a Tiny Trainer, why not build the sport wing for it? Josh designed that plane to brown with its pilot, so if you bought the speed built kit, it should have the wing in it. If not, it's super easy to scratch build. I personally, would do that first, slap the aileron wing on your trainer and get used to 4 channels, or at the least, bank and yank flying. Then I would build the mustang, with or without the rudder. If your good with the 3 channel, youll do fine with 4. 95% of the time, I only use rudder for take offs myslef, hardly ever even touch it.
Happy Building!!

Spot On!!!

Ages ago, (or so it seems to me now), I built my first Tiny Trainer and built both types of wings with no ailerons fitted.
The sport wing did allow my TT to fly faster and to me it even handles better. Just checking out if it had enough dihedral or inherent stability before I fitted the ailerons.

I fitted the ailerons and originally left the rudder in channel one and played with the aileron control on channel 4. This was a little cumbersome but the aileron function was pleasant and positive on the TT. I transferred the Ailerons to channel one and finally flew it as it was designed. In a short time I was flying mostly " Bank and Yank" with great satisfaction. Since then I have up engined and increased the battery size 2 separate times and my version now rockets.

I even designed a new increased span wing for low speed gliding and my TT is now used as a target towing aircraft for those who want to try streamer cutting:black_eyed:

Build the sport wing and your flying skill will never look back:D