Help with Motor candidate for ft storch

Samir

Screenshot_2020-03-13-14-19-49-113_com.android.chrome.jpg

Which of this should I use in my very first plane ft storch? And what size prop and esc do you guys suggest? I have 2200 mAh batteries. Thanks a lot

leaded50

Legendary member
Both!
2212 1400KV : prop9050 or prop1047, 910g thrust v/11.1v, 210w 52g weight. 25-30A esc.
2212 1000kv : 1047prop , 885g thrust v/ 11.1V. 173w. 25-30A esc.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
the storch is a fairly large plane. it should weigh near 1000g with battery. flite test recommends a c radial which is a 2218 motor. the motors you listed are b pack size, they will likely fly the plane but it will be a bit underpowered. you'd likely be at full throttle almost all the time. if you are purchasing a motor for the storch id recommend something a bit bigger. if you have them already and want to try it out , pick the stronger of the two and a calm day. it'll be a nice scale flight

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I would go for a bigger 1000kv motor. A big motor and prop run slowly will always be more efficient so a bit more battery life as well.

leaded50

Legendary member
FT recommend Flite Test C Radial or Park 400 Type, 810kV minimum , park 400 is eq. to 2212/10 1400kv (thrust:910g) or 2212/6 2200kv (thrust:732g).
FT does set the Storch to 1.8 lbs (816.46g) .. it will fly, but as other says here, youre better with some more power, for the flying and the components.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
FT recommend Flite Test C Radial or Park 400 Type, 810kV minimum , park 400 is eq. to 2212/10 1400kv (thrust:910g) or 2212/6 2200kv (thrust:732g).
FT does set the Storch to 1.8 lbs (816.46g) .. it will fly, but as other says here, youre better with some more power, for the flying and the components.
flitetests given weight is without battery. so figure 1000g plus depending on build style.. it should fly but will be underpowered

Samir

View attachment 161781
Which of this should I use in my very first plane ft storch? And what size prop and esc do you guys suggest? I have 2200 mAh batteries. Thanks a lot

Thanks for your input guys...so will this motor be ok? Do you think its a bit large for this plane?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-17-21-54-29-333_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-17-21-54-29-333_com.android.chrome.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 0

Zetoyoc

Elite member
It does get confusing. The last motor you posted is listed as 2826 which after looking it up I see is the outside dimensions. Some motors list internal dim and others list external dimensions so it is hard to tell sometimes. The 2826 you listed is still what I would call a b pack motor and is too small. The c pack motors we use are listed as 2218 that is internal. Their external measure is 2836. So unfortunately I think this motor listed is about the same as the first ones. Unless the first were external measurement as well. I didn't look those up. Youll want a motor that will have 1000g or more thrust. And should be about 28mm x 35mm or internal dimension around 22x18. Give or take.

Some of us use a 3536 motor external dim. On a plane that size and love it . Feel free to ask all the questions you need. There is a lot of info out there and it can be fun keeping it all straight :)

Last edited:

Samir

It does get confusing. The last motor you posted is listed as 2826 which after looking it up I see is the outside dimensions. Some motors list internal dim and others list external dimensions so it is hard to tell sometimes. The 2826 you listed is still what I would call a b pack motor and is too small. The c pack motors we use are listed as 2218 that is internal. Their external measure is 2836. So unfortunately I think this motor listed is about the same as the first ones. Unless the first were external measurement as well. I didn't look those up. Youll want a motor that will have 1000g or more thrust. And should be about 28mm x 35mm or internal dimension around 22x18. Give or take.

Some of us use a 3536 motor external dim. On a plane that size and love it . Feel free to ask all the questions you need. There is a lot of info out there and it can be fun keeping it all straight :)
Thanks...lemme search again. I'll be back. 😊

Samir

Hi again, been busy, but again searching for a motor locally. Will this motor be suitable for the storch?

EMAX GT2215/10 1100KV Brushless Motor

Zetoyoc

Elite member
That is the best one you have found yet. It should work. That motor is right between what we would call a b pack (2212) and c pack (2218) motor. All three measured internally. the storch recommends a c-pack motor. If you have a good deal on a local source for that motor, I would try it. worst case, it flies scale and later you may want more power once you are comfortable and use this motor in a different plane later :)

Samir

That is the best one you have found yet. It should work. That motor is right between what we would call a b pack (2212) and c pack (2218) motor. All three measured internally. the storch recommends a c-pack motor. If you have a good deal on a local source for that motor, I would try it. worst case, it flies scale and later you may want more power once you are comfortable and use this motor in a different plane later :)

Thanks... But it's also the priciest I've found. But I guess I'll go with it. Thanks a bunch 😉

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi, I ordered the motor 2215/10... It says it needs a 10x4.7 prop... If I want a 3 bladed prop, what size should I use? I love 3 blades
Personally I’d start off with the APC 10x5E prop. It’s really durable and will take a lot of hits. Since this is your first plane you’ll probably be crashing a bit. As far as a triblade, get a 9 inch - probably a 9x4.5x3 or something similar - the pitch isn’t too important.

Samir

Personally I’d start off with the APC 10x5E prop. It’s really durable and will take a lot of hits. Since this is your first plane you’ll probably be crashing a bit. As far as a triblade, get a 9 inch - probably a 9x4.5x3 or something similar - the pitch isn’t too important.

Took your advice and bought an APC 10X5. I'll practice on this and after sometime I'll order a triblade...Thanks a lot for your help. Everyone included 😊