Help! Help with my first rc plane build

MrKilometer

That should fly fine. I threw your paramaters into eCalc just to be sure, and here are the results: A21F37DD-1986-4EDA-9423-E06FF138C99C.jpeg

Flying Farm Kid

Expo dums down the travel that the servos make so your airplane will be less sensitive.
Since you don't have landing gear try and find the tallest spot of grass to be abel to launch you airplane.
Launch it with a 15-20 degrese of upward incline at about 70% throtle.
Hope this is helpful good luck!

quorneng

Master member
Not sure about an upward pointing hand launch, particularly with an inexperienced pilot. .
If the plane has considerable excess power it will work although motor torque at the point of release can be an issue. A horizontal launch is easier for the human arm to achieve without imparting any unwanted roll or pitch forces and it allows the plane to accelerate quicker to its intended flying speed. If at that point it still has excess power its natural stability will result in it climbing away. All the pilot has to do is to keep the wings level.

ccc

TY I launched it this morning, and it flew after 40% throttle, and it was great, then I tried again with more speed and the throttle tork made it bank left and crash. Just fixed it so hopefully I will be better

Shurik-1960

"Hello I want to build the Mini Old Fogey.."
This model is the simplest, for flights in complete calm. This model is easy to build yourself without drawings with a flat convex profile and it will fly in an average wind: the angle of attack of the wing is 3 degrees relative to the stabilizer, the engine slope is 3 degrees down and 2-3 degrees to the right. CG- 25% of the wing chord. 100% will fly better!

ccc

" the angle of attack of the wing is 3 degrees relative to the stabilizer, the engine slope is 3 degrees down and 2-3 degrees to the right. CG- 25% of the wing chord. 100% will fly better!" What does that mean?

JDSnavely

There are trim switches by each stick on your transmitter, one for the elevator, ailerons, and rudder, as well as the throttle. If, for instance, your plane has a tendency to pitch down in flight, you'll want to add a few "clicks" of up elevator trim (pull the elevator trim switch towards you). The same process can be repeated for yaw and roll as well.

As an aside, most people trim their airplanes in the air, but if you don't feel comfortable taking your hand off of the stick in flight, you can do adjust the trim on the ground - just be careful to do it in small steps.
Exactly. My sons and I will help each other by adding the trim for whoever is flying so they can concentrate on keeping it in the air. If it's a real challenge, we try to land and get it as close as possible on the ground, then fine tune it in the air. And if really really bad we crash!! Fix and fly again!

mastermalpass

Elite member
TY I launched it this morning, and it flew after 40% throttle, and it was great, then I tried again with more speed and the throttle tork made it bank left and crash. Just fixed it so hopefully I will be better

Good start! Sounds like you got a good flight in and a good crash as well. You'll have learned much from that already. Bet you're glad you put the Cub to one side, eh? :)

ccc

I am building the Mini Old Fogey now and I don't have the recommended 6x 4.5 prop but instead a 6x3 prop in the power pack a, will that not work out?

luvmy40

Elite member
You shouldn't need to modify the air frame in any way, but you will have a little less thrust at any given throttle position. I.e., you will need more throttle for the same speed.