Help with scratch building tools

Zeligman

Hi all... So I am a little bit obsessed with designing my own plane and need help... Is there software to help me if I put in a shape or drawing that will convert it to 2d plans... E. G. Making an oval body with square foam and what 2d shapes I need to cut to create 3d...

can't quite get the conversion right in my head to do it by hand.

Free or low cost and easy learning curve would be best...

Ty! Z

Hi Ty! At the beginning it probably looks like a big learning curve. My best advice is to start simple. An awful lot can be done with flat square shapes -
IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0831.JPG

Others here will suggest software. Think through every step and design decision as you go. How much room do I need for the battery? Where will my CG need to be? In what way can I design in enough access to my electronics? Start with familiar designs that work as a basis for your new design. You'll need to redesign as you go.

Zeligman

Ty... Monte.. Ok.. My specific question is converting an explorer core (square) to oval using foam half circles as form guides... I got the body but want to do a diminishing cone tie end up with a fuselage looking similar to commercial passenger jet or military Hercules.... Can't figure out the forms for the diminishing diameter to a nose cone...

-Z Lockheed_C-130_Hercules.jpg

Ty... Monte.. Ok.. My specific question is converting an explorer core (square) to oval using foam half circles as form guides... I got the body but want to do a diminishing cone tie end up with a fuselage looking similar to commercial passenger jet or military Hercules.... Can't figure out the forms for the diminishing diameter to a nose cone...

-Z View attachment 171818
Sorry I thought your name was Ty! Z. :)

That's a tough one to describe here. I do my work in Cad but it it comes from my head when I should be focusing on other things like work and stuff. How about can you mess around with some cardstock? Cut a square(ish) fuselage former out of foamboard, cut another one, round to match the back side of your nose cone, and cut cardstock to bend and wrap and fit between until you're satisfied. If you get it right, that could start as a template for whatever you use. That's my first thought off the top of my head.

Zeligman

Ha ha I already started with cardstock! All those recycled manila folders finally coming in handy! Got the body where I like it Iike it but cannot figure out how to diminish it as it moves forward. 😊👍For the nose cone.

Thanks everyone!