Help! Help with scratch built plane

MaxTheFliteFreak

Hi, I am taking a whack at my first scratch built master series style plane and I have a problem. How do I calculate how big a sheet of skin should be? Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

P.S. My foamboard is 5mm thick if that helps.

Haply flying!

Inq

Elite member
I'm not sure I understand your question. I've also not really studied the Master Series, so it might just be that I'm not familiar with what "sheet of skin" means. So far, I usually go the other way... the size of the materials you choose (say... DTFB) determines the size of the plane. For example... you might decide that you want to try putting all the pieces on one sheet or the biggest piece fits one sheet. Something like this...
433685_d5e079b3a126e2f4c7f2fa1b1fd53e26.png

luvmy40

Elite member
Is this your own design?

Most of the master designs I have seen talked about are done in a 3D cad program and the skins are extrapolated from the solid model by the software. There are other methods, like figuring your diameters at any given point and rolling the former to get shape.

MaxTheFliteFreak

I'm not sure I understand your question. I've also not really studied the Master Series, so it might just be that I'm not familiar with what "sheet of skin" means. So far, I usually go the other way... the size of the materials you choose (say... DTFB) determines the size of the plane. For example... you might decide that you want to try putting all the pieces on one sheet or the biggest piece fits one sheet. Something like this...
433685_d5e079b3a126e2f4c7f2fa1b1fd53e26.png
By "sheet of skin" I meant the piece that is molded over the ribs to form the skin or outer part of the fuse.

Reactions: Inq

MaxTheFliteFreak

Is this your own design?

Most of the master designs I have seen talked about are done in a 3D cad program and the skins are extrapolated from the solid model by the software. There are other methods, like figuring your diameters at any given point and rolling the former to get shape.
Thanks!

mastermalpass

Elite member
The approach I've been using is the brainchild of some absolute genius of a sheet metal guy; the Rollation Method!

The con is that you have to produce the plan physically, I still don't know how you design a printable template on the computer, but it'll get you your skins either way! 😃